would you?

My 10 yo dd asked to ride her bike down to the bus stop to wait for the bus instead of me driving her down each morning. I told her no because I have no idea if the other mom will be down there each morning dropping off her boys and I wouldn't want to take a chance that she would be waiting there by herself. It is way too unsafe. She said "well, I'd have a walkie- talkie with me.I said oh, that would really help as he's grabbing you. I think of the woman recently who was found and had been abducted "from a bus stop" at age 11 and held captive by this weirdo. Do you think I'm being overly protective.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Sep. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• yes
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• We live in a rural area and she would would have to wait right by the highway.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• An 11 year old girl is no match physically for a grown man. I don't think you are being over protective to not want an 11 year old girl unsupervised by a highway. My mom waited with us at the bus stop until I was 14 and my brother was 11. I was mortified at the time, but now I agree with her. I am just glad the bus stops at our house and my kids can wait right on the front porch.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:11 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• well, it depends on what type of area you live in and if its safe. What would she do with her bike once she got on the bus? I dont think she should be walking, or riding alone until shes a bit older, and even then, I would question it. I think shes just wanting some independence. Surely theres a way to do it without this?...
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 12:32 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• that is not over protective at all. it happens, as we see on the news. there is no second chance if it did happen. better safe than to be the next mom on the news looking for her child. don't let her.
    annelebar

Answer by annelebar at 1:38 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• There is no such place as "safe". I would not take this risk, unless she has a companion

Answer by rkoloms at 7:27 AM on Sep. 3, 2009