What happens if you can't get everything off the list for back to school?

What does the school do? I can't afford it, and everywhere I've looked has run out of donated supplies.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Sep. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• I just got what they needed in there binders. The school can't make you buy those things.
    neveragain17

Answer by neveragain17 at 11:49 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• will you be able to get the rest of the items with in the next month? If so tell the teacher $$ is tight you will get the items soon
    I know each year I try to buy extra items for kids in my sons class just in case I give them to the teacher I never know who gets them . maybe someone will do something like that in your childs class
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 11:51 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• The schools usually have at least a little extra for kids who don't have all their supplies. Just write a quick note to the teacher explaining the situation and it will be fine I'm sure. At our school they are always accomodating to kids who don't have everything... I'm sure they will be at yours.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 11:57 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• They won't do anything but pester you about it. It's not like they can kick your child out of school for not having all their supplies on the first day.
    I think there were things on my son's 1st grade list that I never got him the entire year last year because of whatever reason (didn't have the money at first, then couldn't find and then just forgot).
    He's in 2nd grade and still doesn't have all the supplies and it's the 2nd week of school. It's not the end of the world.
    On the first day I just told them each to tell their teacher that they would have the rest of their supplies as soon as we could find/afford them. With the economy the way it is the teachers/principal understand how hard it is to get everything.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:59 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• When my child went to school on the 1st day there were things "not even on the list" that were told to the kids that they needed for class. The teacher gave them those items. I would think the teacher may help your child in the same way or you can maybe send them later.
    cat4458

Answer by cat4458 at 12:02 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Our school actually said that the supply lists were what the kids needed but if a family could not afford the supplies, just to get what they could (if anything) & the school would make sure the kids had things to use in the classroom. A lot of people are having trouble right now & I'm sure your school realizes this. Contact the teacher or principal & let them know what is happening. If you can afford part of the supplies, ask what is most important. (Maybe the classroom has a ton of pencils but you need to buy a small pencil box, that sort of thing).

And I know this isn't an option for a lot of people--but do you have any family who would be willing to help? I know some grandparents can't help but some would be thrilled to have a chance to participate in back to school. Just a thought. Hugs!
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 12:04 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I'd just get the necessary things at first and worry about the gallon sized bags, Clorox Wipes, Kleenex, Purell (or whatever they use), later.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:30 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Tell the teacher that you will obtain the items as you can, but that you can't get them all right now.

Then, every time you get groceries or go shopping, try to pick up one more thing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:46 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I would worry later about the 'shared' items, get what you need now. WHen my son came home with his list i saw 3 boxes of kleenex and my other son was 2 boxes.. well someone was going to get jiped because Target sold in the 4 pk bundles. so they each went with 2. Another thing.. i've never seen my son mark his papers with red pen so why the teacher needs 2 red pens from each kid. idk. Plus believe it or not.. they do carry stuff over to the next school year.
    scrapn2do

Answer by scrapn2do at 2:23 PM on Sep. 2, 2009