My grand daughter has acne !

It's not bad, but it's getting worse. She's 11 , first year middle school & it really bothers her. Shes was using Proactive but seems to be getting worse so i told her not to use it any more. She has used it for about a year now. Any suggestions. She very self cousions about how she looks. A GRAND MOTHER IN NEED OF HELP WITH HER GRAND DAUGHTER! HELP!!!!!!!

coolnannie

Asked by coolnannie at 11:45 AM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I had issues with Proactiv making my acne worse when I would stop using it.

She will definitely need to wash/change her pillowcase daily and wash her face gently twice a day (scrubbing hard makes it worse) and make sure to use a gentle, oil-free moisturizer. Washing strips the natural oils off the skin. The skin reacts to protect itself by producing more oil, which makes you break out more. The moisturizer should help break that cycle.

If she has a habit of resting her head on her hands or touching her face a lot, she will need to break it. (I used to break out like mad along my chin because of that.)

Drinking extra water will help, so will a balanced diet.

If it's really bad, a dermatologist can make additional suggestions. Some antibiotics can help clear up acne, but they have to be used with caution because they have other side effects - teeth staining, yeast infections, etc.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 2:04 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• tell her to drink more water lay off of junk food including soda wash her face alot throughout the day and wash her pillow case daily
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Poor baby. Take her to see a Dr. or Dermatologist. There is a new prescribed topical medication. Not sure what it's called, but it's better to have a professional look at it than spend lots of money and time trying to figure out a solution. Don't go to a spa either. Most estheticians will just suggest a product they sell there so they can get a commission from you.
    sugarmama01

Answer by sugarmama01 at 11:51 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• My DD is 15 & has mild acne & flare-ups. We love the Clean & Clear acne treatment kit. The whole kit--cleanser, moisturizer, and spot treatment is about $20 & you can buy it at WalMart or drugstores (sheesh, I sound like a commercial, lol). It has worked great for her.

The Rx cream is really good. I think there is one called Acutane (Accutane? or something like that) & it worked great for me when I started breaking out in my early 20's. Get her to a good pediatrition who can refer you to a dermatologist.

Kudos to you for taking care of this now instead of letting her suffer for years. Hugs to your grandbaby!
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 11:53 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I would certainly get her to a dermatologist but until then get her to drink lots of water, cut out the greasy food and soft drinks. Eating healthy is a major thing. I' have suffered with acne for most of my life and the one biggest change was giving up soft drinks and drinking lots of water. Changing my eating habits helped too. I use Neutrogena glycerine bar soap to clean my face. Don't let her use regular soap on her face. I wouldn't use medications (not even over the counter stuff) without talking to a doctor first.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:57 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Its sad because it's probably changing hormones and the onset of puberty that are causing her acne. My brother had it horrible during his early teen years and the dermatoligist finally put him on a pill, which he takes daily, that controls it. You guys might have to try a lot of things before you see good results since everybodies body chemistry is different. But whatever she does, don't let her use regular make-up to cover it up! That will clog the pores and make it look worse. If she wants to wear a little make-up to try to hide it buy some bare minerals or something like it so that the pores will be able to breath a little better.
    The only thing that really ever worked for my acne was birth control...but I wouldn't want to put someone that young on birth control.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 12:03 PM on Sep. 2, 2009