Is k12 a good program for 10th grade homeschooling

I am thinking about starting my 10th grade son in the K12 program. I am really excited about the opportunity but also leary of doing something so out of the box for my family. I wanted to know if there was any suggestions or advice from another family that has done high school with K-12. Also my husband is really concerned about the lack of socialization. All info is grealy appreciated.

MY3BOYZINCO

Asked by MY3BOYZINCO at 12:08 PM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Has the 10th grader been in school before now? If so, I wouldnt worry about socialization. I have a 10th grader and they find ways to be social and also at this age, socialization can get them in trouble...LOL. The only feedback I ve ever gotten was that it was still public school and the families I know were looking for a different cirriculum for their children. My sil did it for awhile and she didnt like having the virtual teacher doing something she was accustomed to doing. She didnt like the micromanaging, but that might be different for you. Her child is only a 3rd grader. I dont think the homeschooling thing via k12 is out of the box at all, and I think its going to become more and more popular as our schools continue to miss the mark educationally and become places where they spend half the day doing social programs such as DARE, or good touch bad touch. Its not bad, but they are spending too much time on it. JMO
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 12:11 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I don't know anything about k12, but I homeschooled both of my two younger boys. Socialization was never a problem. In fact, the only place where you only socialize with people the same age as you, and from the same basic background since you generally live in the same neighborhoods, is public school. My boys have lots of friends, stayed involved in various activities, and are both now college students. My husband wasn't thrilled with the idea of homeschooling either, but he is now my biggest fan, and thinks it was the best thing we could have done for our kids. Good luck!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 4:45 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• This is so funny. I just posted about homeschooling and all the things people tell me about socialization and other things. My 15 yr. old has been with k12 since 4th grade. It is a great program. They provide the computer, an all in one printer, pay for internet, and send the curriculum. There are also teachers for each class, an advisor for each student and a counselor. All of the classes are online, and they provide materials that you need for math, science, history, english, and all the rest of their classes. You get weekly progress reports, so you know exactly where they are in each class. If they are behind or need help, you can contact their teacher and/or advisor. It really is a good program to work with. As far as socialization, school pretty much provides the skills that you don't want. This way you teach them values, morals, religious beliefs, and anything else that you feel they need to know. Good luck.
    dcarbg

Answer by dcarbg at 8:51 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• YES!!! My daughter wants to do K.12 but we live in ny,so we cant!! Stupid homeschooling laws! l0l
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on Sep. 3, 2009