Backseat Blues

My son is 6 months old, and ever since he was born... he's hated sitting in his car-seat. He screams, and screams. Either my husband or I, always go back there with him. But in October, he'll be 8 months, we're taking a trip from FL, where we live, to NJ, a 20 hr. drive.

What should we do!? I don't want to have to sit in back with him the entire way there! We give him toys, his binky... He has toys connected to his car-seat. WE NEED HELP!

shessohippie

Asked by shessohippie at 12:10 PM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Is he still in his infant seat?? If he is, maybe a roomier convertible seat would work better for him.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:13 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Yes, hes still in his infant seat. Is a convertible seat the ones they sit up in, facing front? He weighs 17 lbs. Isn't he too small for that?
    shessohippie

Answer by shessohippie at 12:16 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Nope, a convertible is a seat that is made to rear face until they are old enough to forward face... most rear face to 35 lbs and then forward face after that to 40-65 lbs depending on the seat.
    The seats are larger and roomier.
    Depending on your budget, there are many good convertible seats...
    Cosco scenera- $50 (but this one isn't very plush and might not be the best choice for a 20 hr car ride) but it's a great spare seat to have
    Evenflo Triumph Advance- $115-145
    Graco Myride65- $145-160
    First Years True Fit- $150-180
    Any Britax convertible- $160 +

He's for sure too small and too young to forward face like you thought... but he will likely need a new seat before he's a year anyway... and it's BEST to keep a child rear facing past 1 year to the limits of their seat (2 years or older) so you might as well get one now and see if it works better for him
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:26 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I agree with the previous poster...try a new car seat...one that can face rear, forward and maybe even one that turns into a booster for older children. We got ours at Costco...it is the Alpha Omega Elite and it is very comfortable. Also, try a Baby Einstein CD or some other kind of children's music..sometimes it helps calm my little one down. Another idea, although exhausting for you, is to plan on driving during baby's normal sleeping times (drive all night, etc).
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 1:16 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I'll echo the suggestion of a more comfy convetibleseat.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:55 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• i dont know..im so sorry..my 2 1/2 mo old baby girl cries non-stop in her car seat!! we are all about to go crazy!! i hope she doesnt go another few months doing this! i dont know about a different car seat, (we are thinking some type of helmet that astronauts wear, with oxygen in there so we dont have to hear her cry..lol) i cant imagine that making a difference with my daughter, but let me know if you do that and how it works! good luck momma..
    snakesNsnails

Answer by snakesNsnails at 3:35 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I dunno how your child still fits in an infant seat unless it was very expensive one that last til 30 or so lbs...seriously most kids outgrow them by height atleast by 6 months. If your baby has less than an inch above it head til the edge of the hard shell of the seat or weighs over the limit stated on the side of the seat...get a convertible seat. They can RF to 30-40lbs depending on whihc one you get.
    Heres some journals with info on seats and prices(with pics)
    http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1465317/MY_carseat_recommendations_with_PICS
    http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1466932/Budget_car_seats_convertible_and_harnessed_booster
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 4:49 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Tabi, my son fit in his infant seat, weight, and height, until past 1 yr. And it was a Graco one, with a 22 lb weight limit. It can happen.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:41 PM on Sep. 2, 2009