Moms who nurse and work?

How do you do it? I want to nurse but i am going to have to go back to work..
Do you get a breast pump? IF so how much are they?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:12 PM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• With us we introduced a bottle early.. within the first week and ge got 1 bottle every day so that he knew how to take a bottle. (My niece would never take a bottle and got kicked out of daycare because of it)
    And then I would pump before work even if he just ate, pump 1-2 times at work depending on if I had time.
    I pumped a bunch before I went back to work and froze it... I found that I needed it most often on Mondays when I had only BF all weekend and not pumped... otherwise what I pumped at work was usually enough for the next day.
    I had a Medela pump in style and I love it. It cost around $200
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:17 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I've gone back to work when all my babies were between 6 and 12 weeks old and been able to sucessfully breastfeed. A good quality breastpump is key to being able to work and breastfeed. It may seem like a lot to pay up front, but if you look at the cost of formula, it's cheaper in the long run. If you get WIC, they will give or loan you a free high quality one.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:15 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I bought a Medela dual pump (pump N style)...once my milk came in I would pump between each nurse to increase my flow...unfortunately a side effect of working is that your flow will slow a little. I would only nurse when at home or with the baby and no one was allowed to bottle feed if I wasn't working...the only bottles that she got were at daycare. I recorded her crying and giggles to help with let down at work and I took one of her worn onsies to have the smell of her. If your work is breastfeed friendly, they should give you a room that can be locked that is NOT a bathroom.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:17 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Oh and I got my Medela on ebay for $75 new in box still with all the security tape on it so it had never been opened.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:18 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I went back to work at 8 wks. i have a Medela Pump In Style Advanced and I pump every two hours at work. I nurse on demand when I am with my dd. Fortunately for me, I work in an all female environment most of the time and so I just pump in my cube with a cover on. I asked the other girls beforehand if they minded and they all said no, so it works well. I can still work and pump at the same time! I bought my medela new on craigslist from a woman who never used it since she couldn't breastfeed (for physical reasons) for $100! I would check into craigslist or ebay! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions!
    babyruby02

Answer by babyruby02 at 1:00 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Also, I agree with the previous posters... pump now and freeze for when you go back to work. It will help your supply and you'll have a stock for when you need it.
    babyruby02

Answer by babyruby02 at 1:01 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• i went back to school at 4 1/2 weeks. i started pumping after feedings at about 3 weeks. i had a first years pump, but now i have a medela pump n style. and i wouldn't recommend getting a cheap pump. they hurt and hurt the supply. the medela is AWESOME. yes, it is a little pricey, but if you pump and nurse for the 1st year of life, it's A LOT cheaper than having to buy formula. so, it's worth it.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 1:55 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Let me start by recommending pumpingmoms.org.

Yes, I worked 60-hour weeks and still nursed to 26 months. It takes some discipline. Ihad a hospital-grade rental pump that was used four times daily; once during the morning feed...baby one side, pump on the other, and then three times a day at work. I also pumped on the weekends to keep up.

Drop by the Breastfeeding Moms group here...we can help you out.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:01 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I ended up pumping exclusively due to latching issues, and I also had a Medala Pump In Style Advanced. They're not cheap, but my parents bought mine. It's a dual pump so 15 minutes for each pumping session was a breeze. By the time, I went back to work (13 weeks), I only need to pump once at work. I was lucky that my office was all woman.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:27 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I went back when my son was 14 weeks. I pump 2 times a day in an 11 hour day. I should probably pump three times but that is not possible at my job. I use the Medela Freestyle. It cost about $400. I really like it and I decided to splurge a little since I knew I would be pumping a lot. It does take a lot of commitment. There are days where I end up pumping 5 times a day. I feel pretty stressed out a lot because I feel like I do nothing but take care of the baby, nurse the baby, work, clean the house and pump, but I really love breastfeeding. I also take fenugreek pretty regularly to keep my supply up.
    bxp10070

Answer by bxp10070 at 9:25 PM on Sep. 2, 2009