What do you know about evaluations for speech delays?

My son is two and will be doing a speech evaluation with ECI. What should I expect? Will I be able to be in the room? What will the results tell us? If he does need speech therapy how will that work? Also, he seems very smart and we talk to him all the time, so why is he behind (I know you can't answer this - just wondering)?

Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:18 PM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• that is a difficult thing to deal with. My son has been getting speech since he was about 2. Early Intervention came to our house and you can be in the room even if the service you may be getting is at an office. That is your right as a parent i think. Just because he may need speech therapy does not mean he is not intelligent at all. It just means he may have trouble with phonics and pronunciation of sounds. My son has Down Syndrome so that is why he needs ST. Just keep talking with him like you are already doing. I read a lot of picture books that have words and pictures of things. We have a couple of them. One is just called WORDS by Priddy books and another one is my first 100 words. I beg he will pick up words fast and he will eventually catch up. I wouldnt be too concerned. Hope this helps:)
    team21

Answer by team21 at 12:36 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• You should be in the room. Our evaluators came to our house and our speech therapy is in our house, too.

They basically play with him, read to him, ask him questions trying to get him to speak and if he is speaking they will be listening to his articulation and kind of doing a word count/phrase count. At his age, he should have about 50 words and be using 2-3 word phrases.

My son was evaluated last year at about 21 months. He had ZERO words. He said his first word at 23 months after a month of speech therapy. Now, almost a full year later, he is 33 months and has word usage of 45 months!!! HUGE!! However, he is still about a year behind in his articulation.

Sometimes kids just need a little kickstart and a little extra help. It doesn't mean there is anything wrong.

You have the right to be there, but you canNOT say anything to him! No prompting!!! You have to be quiet. They will talk to you, don't worry...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:31 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• My experience is similar to that of the previous posters. The evaluation was done in the home and I was there for it. They just played with him and got most of what they needed from that. At 18 months, he still had no words. All therapy sessions have been in our house which is great since he's most comfortable there. The therapists bring lots of different toys and try to pick ones that focus on his interests as motiviation is key. We also saw significant progress over time but it took a few months before we saw improvement so don't get discouraged if you see the same thing. Like yours, my son was great with understanding things just needed some help with speaking. Your state probably has a web site that covers Early Intervention and includes a statement of parents' rights. Might be helpful to you.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 3:37 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Thanks again to all of you! I don't know how I can choose a best answer since you have all been tremendously helpful and encouraging. I'm just going to pick the first one and call it closed.

You moms are great!
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 3:00 PM on Sep. 3, 2009