Step Kids aren't part of the Step Parent.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705321722/Mom-can-end-stepfathers-visits.html

Proof that even if Step Parents do all they can for their Step Children, you are nothing to them.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:19 PM on Sep. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• Legally, not unless you adopt the step children. But that is no reason to not love a child unconditionally while you can.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:25 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• It is too bad many parents don't do what is best for the kids. So many parents are wrapped up in making each other pay they forget about the kids and their well being. So sad and so pathetic.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:33 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• that is a sad story but the law is only valid in utah....
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 12:53 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• that's terrible :-( Stupid Utah.
    AMsMommy212

Answer by AMsMommy212 at 12:58 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• That is sad. Plain and simple, if he was the only father figure the daughter knows, and he is a fit parent, and especially if he will have to pay child support (that's the stupidest part, and yes, I said stupidest), he should also be allowed visitation. Top that off with the fact that the girl will suffer the loss of what she sees as a parent, and you've got a case that benefits the interests of only the mother and no one else involved in this case. How selfish!
    trebelcleff

Answer by trebelcleff at 1:33 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• My husband is worried about this. He is scared that if he passes away before my stepson (who is more like an adopted son) is 18, that I won't get custody of him. His mother will and she has so many problems and the two hardly know each other that the idea scares the crap out of him. Granted he, would never try to get me out of my son's life. In fact, he has a notarized document his attorney drew up stating that in the event of our separation, I will still get parenting time.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 2:27 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I just don't get why or how parents can use their kids in this manner. My stepson's mother has stated numerous times that I am "nothing to her kids" and she would love for them to hate me. I don't understand why divorced parents (moms in particular, sorry to have to say it) are not grateful that their kid has another person who loves that child and is so willing to take them into their home and be a family. Are these parents so insecure that they are threatened by the step-parent? A court not being able to see this and rendering this kind of decision is mind-boggling.
    lbjbarbie

Answer by lbjbarbie at 2:52 PM on Sep. 2, 2009