Does holding your belly cause more problems for the baby?

Ok. Now I know this is a stupid question. But ever since my sister-in-law gave birth she thinks she is the KNOW ALL of pregnancy lady. She told me that women who hold their belly all the time while pregnant are more likely to have problems while giving birth. While I am almost positive she is wrong there is still that small sinking feeling in me that says "MAYBE". Please put my mind to ease and let me know whether or not I should ignore Mrs. Know-It-All or actually listen to her.

Some of her other advice includes:
"Because you're fat, you'll automatically have a C-Section. So your plan of a natural birth is out of the question."
"If you don't have the same Dr. I had and a problem happens, your baby will die."
"You won't be able to Breastfeed, Because I couldn't"
"You'll just pass your baby off to anyone who wants her after she gets here cause you'll want some attention yourself."

gbj2b

Asked by gbj2b at 12:25 PM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I think your sister in law is most definitely ill informed. Just let everything she says go in one ear and out the other. You will not have problems because you hold your belly. I know plenty of overweight people that had natural deliveries, I wasn't able to breastfeed but that doesn't mean everyone else in my family didn't, and when your child gets older you will want some time to yourself, but that first couple of months, you are just so taken away by your child, you can't get enough.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 12:45 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• NO NO NO NO NO NO
    She is INcorrect.
    Do not listen to her. Get factual information to help you feel more confident. Don't worry.

She is ridiculous.
    :-/
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:27 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• uhh no i didn't have a problem giving birth, although my baby was almost 9lbs so it was a little hard to get him out i had to push for 2 hrs. but in all my labor was only 8 hrs it wasnt bad at all. i wouldnt listen to what she has to say she sounds like an idiot, no offense but thats crazy about the whole if you dont see my same dr your baby will die and that you wont be able to bf. and ok i gained 65lbs while pregnant and i had a natural birth i was 220lbs when i gave birth
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:28 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Sounds like mrs. know it all is pretty stupid and rude...how many kids does this lady have? i have 3 and i had all vaginal births no tearing...with an epidurals
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:29 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Mrs. Know-it-all sounds like an idiot!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:47 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• your sister in law is an idiot.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:51 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• She sounds like a jerk - for even say "if you don't have the same Dr I had and problems happen your baby will die" WDF- i'm sorry I could've slapped the hell out of her for that honestly; but to answer your question I've never heard of that at all.
    dorkish_face

Answer by dorkish_face at 1:02 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• OMG!!!!!!!!! Can you stay bitch! Even my husband said shes a bitch lol! Dont listen to her listen to yourself and your doctor. Good luck honey!
    Froggy_girl1790

Answer by Froggy_girl1790 at 1:06 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Holding my belly was like my way of physically appreciating my pregnancy~ I loved it!!! And my births were not bad because I touched my belly.

"It is important to remember that most plus-size moms can have successful vaginal births. And any doctor that tells you otherwise (unless you have other complications) is misinformed. There is no reason to schedule a planned C-section for an overweight first-time mom, unless there are other conditions or problems involved."  Vaginal Birth

doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:10 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Birth is a natural, normal process.   Women don't NEED doctors to birth their babies.   Midwives are normal birth specialists, well qualified to attend moms in labor.  OBs are surgeons and "treat" their patient's pregnancies as an illness.   HER doctor seems to have filled her head with ideas that don't make evidence-based sense, she is pretty misguided.   Because of her comments, I would recommend that you stay FAR away from HER doctor.      ;-P

doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:12 PM on Sep. 2, 2009