Lots of swine flu talk...do u really think it's not worse than the regular flu?

There is so much media sensation about it. One school in our city has some 200 kids out with "suspected" flu, but only about a dozen of those are apparently confirmed cases right now.

Many people on here are saying it's not really worse than the regular flu, why do you feel that way? Do you feel it's just another strain of the regular flu?

I don't want my family to get the swine flu shot, but even my kids pediatrition is recommending it. This would be the first time i've gone against medical advice.

citymama707

Asked by citymama707 at 12:29 PM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

Level 1 (-3 Credits)
  • Wow. Before giving your kids that shot, go to the links in another question in today's CafeMom:

"Swine flu linked to serious nerve disease, warns CDC"

... actually, the CDC is warning that not the flu, but the VACCINATION is linked to causing the nerve disease.

So read up on what is in those articles.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 3:55 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• My kids are not getting the vaccine!
    LuvOurFamily

Answer by LuvOurFamily at 12:32 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• i dont think that its worse or not worse than a regular seasonal flu. i think its different and has the potential to mutate early and readily leaving a vast population unprepared. my son just got over it and like you, our school system was hit hard. our local hospital is only testing 1 in 10 suspected flu cases because they cannot supply enough testing material to test all the symptomatic patients. so............my son's case was sudden and pretty severe but he had multiple underlying health conditions and was treated immediately. personally, i do not feel it is worse than a typical season influenza-just different, rapid with onset, and potentiality to mutate readily, affecting a population not historically affected by influenza. scary enough for a country in fiscal poverty.

jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 12:37 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I don't thing it is expected to be worse in affliction than the regular flu, just more widespread. As for a vaccine, I don't think one will be ready in time, but if it is, I'm torn on whether we will get it or not.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:45 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• It's not worse, the proof is in the so called pandemic we had. Thousands of people die from the regular flu every year and it's certainly not that bad. I think it's a good idea anytime to have good hygiene but they are going way overboard on this flu
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:51 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I don't think it's any worse than the other strains of the flu. We are just unprepared for it to hit therefore it has a deadly potential. =(
    Good hygiene plays a big role in the flu, WASH THOSE HANDS SEVERAL TIMES A DAY! That will help you more than anything!!!!!
    simonsmomma

Answer by simonsmomma at 1:12 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• It's milder than the regular flu. They even said so on the news. If you have health problems already you should speak to your doctor.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:22 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• From what I understand, the main concerns about the H1N1 Flu this fall is that it will come back stronger, or as a mutated strain, and no one has immunity to this flu. Also, it is particularly devastating and deadly for pregnant women and children. My sister's mother in law is a registered nurse with over 30 years of training, and she told her that because she is pregnant in her third trimester, she should not go to public places if at all possible because the swine flu is particularly deadly for pregnant women. My sister's obstetrician also recommended the same thing. Also, it is estimated that 30,000-90,000 could die from this strain of H1N1 flu this flu season, whereas normal flu has a mortality rate of closer to 40,000, so there is the potential for more than twice as many deaths. people just need to follow common sense things. If you're sick stay home. Kids sick, keep them home. WASH HANDS FREQUENTLY!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:32 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• The current death rate is less than the seasonal flu average. They say less people may have natural immunity, which could mean more people come down with the flu. Honestly, they don't know how it will play out. The southern hemisphere is ending their winter, and their flu season wasn't as bad as predicted, even though no one had H1N1 shots.

It could mutate into something worse, or it could mutate into something milder. No one knows for sure.

We don't normally get the flu shot, so we are unlikely to get this one.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 1:42 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Seems like it is easier to catch, but we still won't be getting the shot, we haven't had flu shots in a long time.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 2:22 PM on Sep. 2, 2009