public school and public health care for kids

How is a child attending public school any different, in principal, than public health care for kids? In the end, we would pay taxes for each program. How is one different than the other? How is one more important than the other?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:43 PM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• My child is not required to attend public school. I can use private school, parochial school, military school, homeschool, homeschool co-op. Here's where your comparison is accurate: I have to pay for public school whether I use it or not, even after my kids are out of college, like I did before they were even born. Even if I were childless and never used it, I'm still forced to pay for it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:47 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• to PP: your child would not be required to use public health care either.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:53 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Its really not. I think its very much similar. Good thing I can opt out of both, which I am doing. I pray they never make us be involved in anything the govt controls and its getting to the point where they are controlling just about everything.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 12:56 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• to further the great points above...

school is an EDUCATIONAL facility. You cannot even get tylenol anymore. When I was in school, we had a school nurse. Cutbacks have packed that job up. Kids are left to fend for themselves if not feeling well, have a headache, etc. What does that tell you? So, compare that to how healthcare would be...hhhmmm...let's see. The first round of cutbacks in government run healthcare would be? which could you say is more important than the next?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:56 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• because I don't want my grandmother's cardiologist's job going to the Doctor with the lowest pricetag and cheapest education by a government who cannot even balance itself!!!
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 12:58 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

They are if there's not enough money left to pay for private care after shelling out all the money to support public care. There is no homemedical option like there is homeschooling.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:59 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• The idea of free or public health care isn't an awful idea. The problem was the most recently introduced plan. There were too many problems with THAT proposal. Under the right circumstances, universal health care would be a great move for the citizens of this country.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:08 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Answered at 1:08 PM on Sep. 2, 2009 by: Anonymous Anonymous The idea of free or public health care isn't an awful idea. The problem was the most recently introduced plan. There were too many problems with THAT proposal. Under the right circumstances, universal health care would be a great move for the citizens of this country.

I agree with you.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:12 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I guess they similar. The more the government gets involve the worse they are both getting!!!!!!!
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 1:15 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I guess they would be the same:

No matter how much the government shovels money into them, there doesn't seem to be any improvements.

Just as teaching techniques required by the government would change with lobbyist and government cronies request, so would healing techniques.

Unions would pay docs not to work just like they do teachers.

And I guess doctors would be required to see 30 or more patients at once just like public school teachers.

Maybe they would also do one-size-fits all treatments, just as public schools do with teaching.

And docs would be horribly underpaid just like teachers...meaning many won't be able to afford to do medical school. Which either means a shortage of doctors, or sending them to technical school like they do in Canada.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:15 PM on Sep. 2, 2009