Is this OK or TACKY?

I asked a question related to this recently but need more help! I had a baby shower in 2005 for my son. I had a baby shower in 2008 for my daughter. I have a 6 week old son and my mom wanted to throw a "Welcome Baby" get together for him, but now she's not so sure it's the "right" thing to do. I told her about my previous post about this and everyone thought it would be a great idea! Now she's thinking that when I send out my birth announcement, that I should put an invite in there for the "Welcome Baby" party and actually have myself and my hubby host the get together. I have no problem with that, but want to make sure it's not tacky. I'm not thinking it is at all, but just need other opinions! THANKS AGAIN MAMAS!

TylersMama05

Asked by TylersMama05 at 12:53 PM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think it is a fine idea. If you are worried about people thinking you are only inviting them for gifts then say, no gifts please on the invitation. People will probably still bring them but you don't have to worry that people will think you are only out for gifts.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 12:57 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• My sil did this but it was her first and she had the baby before the day of her shower I think its a great idea
    aubrees_mommie

Answer by aubrees_mommie at 12:58 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I agree with the "no gifts" part. People will still bring them if they want to.

I think a welcome baby party is a great idea. Everyone sees the baby at once, and you won't have the endless train of people at your door...
    risonski

Answer by risonski at 1:02 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Thats a great idea - people LOVE to see new babies!!! I would do the no gifts please thing for sure.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 1:13 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Thats a great idea! I say go for it, you can put on there "no gifts please" so people wont think that that was your intentions.

GL!
    trl30

Answer by trl30 at 1:24 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I think it is fine if you are throwing the party so that people can meet the baby, but not okay if you want to get gifts. I am not a fan of people that throw multiple baby showers, unless your kids are more than 5 years apart. I think it comes off as greedy, JMO. But if you do throw the party, I think it is a fine idea to include the invite in the announcement. Enjoy your new baby!
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 1:33 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Party for lil man :) so not tacky every baby needs a moment to shine!!!!! ... I want a birth announcement ;)!!! **hugs momma**
    beccan

Answer by beccan at 1:33 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• definately not tacky as long as you make sure to write no gifts on the invite.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 1:55 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I agree with no gifts or if they have to bring something ask for diapers and wipes! =) Meet the baby parties are pretty common for 2nd + babies I think. As for putting it in with the anouncment. I think it's fine as well, and you will save on postage!
    Inle_Rabbit

Answer by Inle_Rabbit at 2:36 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• i agree with the no gifts, those that want to give you a gift will regardless of a party or not. we did the same with our house warming. we specifically said no gifts & some close friends still did. this little man needs to be celebrated :)
    starrbar

Answer by starrbar at 2:48 PM on Sep. 2, 2009