Help with Toddler Girls Hair!

My daughter is about to turn 3. She's just started to really grow her hair long. I'm having problems with it sticking up in the back. I deep condition it every week with Pantene Pro-V deep conditioning treatment. Every night after her bath she gets leave in conditioner and detangler in the mornings. However, no matter what I do to it, after 20 minutes her hair looks "stringy" in the back; It sticks up and is horribly tangled. Just looking for suggestions from you wonderful mothers! Thank you :)

DixiePrincess84

Asked by DixiePrincess84 at 12:58 PM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If her hair is long enough, it's pretty simple. When you bathe her, use a good childrens shampoo (we love Aveeno) because it has things to help baby hair. I use a detangler on my daughter's hair and have since she was 2, but the main thing is when you wash their hair, make sure you comb it while it's wet, then immediately braid it (do not dry first) in a tight braid, and let her go like that all night. When she gets up, you should be able to comb it right out and it will be cute and wavy. I know when my DD was little if she went to bed with her hair down, it would stick out the next day no matter what I did. Braiding is wonderful lol.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:19 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I sounds like it's too conditioned. I know when hair has too much conditioner it looks stringy and greasy! It used to happen to mine. The more you use on it the stringier it gets. Try to deep condition it once every two weeks. The sticking up is normal when the hair starts getting longer. If it really bothers you, put it in pigtails or a pony tail. My dd is 21 mos with hair down to her mid back, but it curls upwards so it looks like it's just past her shoulders. My friends dd's hair is almost down to her shoulders and sticks up and out in the back because it is growing. My dd's did that as well when it was that short... at about 6 mos old.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 1:06 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I have the same problem with my daughter's hair. It looks dead in the back almost. Like the texture of straw. I condition her hair too. She doesn't get tangles, it just looks dead. I think it is because the way she plays, she ends up rubbing her head against the floor a lot. I don't know though. Sorry. I will be checking back for more answers.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:07 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• i do not use conditioner on my childs hair, it gets combed in bath, when it is wet she has no problem with the combing, i put it up in ponytail in the bath, and it usually stays in at least until bedtime
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 1:15 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Here are some products that do remarkably on thin, or unruly hair, or other types of tangles.

Generic pantene also known as ALL-IN-ONE, by whatever store sells it.
    PERT for dry hair, also in generic formulas, and I'd come it through when just out and slightly dry.
    A great one that does as good as these but I alternate them is :
    " Head and Shoulders REFRESH ", it's nice and combs rights out, the ponytails/pigtails process is also helping, but not all the time , it breaks the spots where it's tight.
    So I bought some looser eleastic bands with the silky scruchy, They're light weight and don't pull or tug hair out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:26 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• use childrens shampoo and detangler, some adult shampoos may be too harsh for a child that young.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 1:32 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Use a baby brush on it and make her hair almost stick to her head, as straight as you can get it then re brush with a regular brush, do this a few times a day and her hair will be "trained" to do what you want. Young childrens hair has to br trained just as ours does but because it's brand new it just wants to stick out everywhere.
    Jesusfanatic

Answer by Jesusfanatic at 1:39 PM on Sep. 2, 2009