young dog limping favoring limbs....

our pitbull is a wonderful sweet dog. He is 3 1/2 yrs old. for a 2 months he has been stiff when getting up, alternating favoring his back legs...basically acting like he is 14, not 3. We didnt take him in right away cause at first we figured maybe he hurt himself running around or something. He seemed to get better..but then he seemed worse again. Yesterday he didnt eat his breakfast till 4pm. Hes usually a PIG. Today he ate fine. yesterday he started favoring the other leg bad. (only back legs). He is going in to the vet Saturday but I am just so worried. Has anyone seen this in their pets? I am a mess worried its cancer or something

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:58 PM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Pets

• have you sat down and check out the dogs feet he may have stepped on something? Touch him to see if he has pain. And if he is pain call the vet to see what you can give him.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 1:01 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Could be so many things. It just depends. It could be early onset arthritis or it could be something called hip displacia or a partially torn cruciateligament... It just kind of depends on what the limp looks like, how long it has been going on , what triggers it.  I would expect to have to get some X-Rays with possible sedation depending on what they lean towards... I know this was not help at all but maybe you could look up the things I mentioned and see what you think...

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:06 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• but mommie- thanks

gammie- yes of course we looked at his feet.

he keeps all weight off the affected leg. Ive pressed on his hips, legs, feet and it doesnt seem to bother him, yet he's stiff and keeps the weight off the legs, alternating them every few weeks...I dunno. were expecting xrays and blood tests. I just hate waiting for an appt like this. I worry
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:22 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I am leaning toward the cruciate ligament if he is not putting any weight on them yet they seem not painful to the touch...Common in larger sized dogs to.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:26 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• BTW I am not a vet (so no quoting me lol.) but I do work for one and have for many years.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:27 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I'm thinking hip dysplasia or maybe arthritis. But he also could have a hurt paw.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 7:33 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Have you tried giving your dog a daily joint supplement? My GSD is constantly pulling her groin muscle playing with our other dogs. If she takes the supp she recovers faster and it doesnt happen as much.
    kakgsp

Answer by kakgsp at 7:03 AM on Sep. 6, 2009