How to handle a bus situation?

My son is in kindergarten he has been riding the bus which he still wants to do. So far 2 boys have spit on him (one I believe was an accident) and has been told "5 year olds are losers". These kids are 2 years or so older than he and he thinks big kids are just the best thing. All he thinks about it playing, that's all he wanted from these boys and that's what he gets for it. He doesn't quite know what to think of it all. He's knows it's not true as the look he gives me is quite telling. I told him that was a silly thing to say and said you're not a loser are you and he replied no. We talked about what a loser is and why he is not one. I don't want kids making him believe these things about himself. I don't want to say something and have the older kids bring there friends into it. I don't want to shield my son of things that is bound to happen anyway, I want to guide him so he knows how to handle it. But what am I to say/do?

Rae-Rae05

Asked by Rae-Rae05 at 12:58 PM on Sep. 2, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• no you do not want those things to be happening on the bus! I would start by sending a note or speaking ot the driver personally. Ask tha tyour son be sat at the front of the bus. If it continues then I wuld move forward to talking to the school about getting the number for Bus drivers main office. She should have more control over the students on her bus. If she doesn't then there are at least a hundered people who would love to replace her... JMO
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:11 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• try to explain to him that some kids are just really mean and he needs to ignore it and not be like them. if someone does something really bad like spits on someone then he should tell the bus driver when the bus is stopped. it's too bad they won't hire someone to sit at the back of the bus to help control the kids, there's no way one person who's paying attention to traffic, can keep an eye on that many kids.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 1:29 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Talk to the principal.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:26 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• If possible have a trusted older kid sit close to him. I would say about a 5th grader or so to sit within a seat or two. Have this guy watch inter-actions between your child and the others, tell him not to say anything unless it gets too much for your little guy to handle and then just tell whoever to back off. Your boy will have a champion and a hero, but he will be close enough in age to know if it is just "top dog" actions or a bullying situation that needs attention. Good luck.
    higherboundmom

Answer by higherboundmom at 4:36 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• HAVE A TALK WITH THE BUS DRIVER TELL HIM TO KEEP AN EYE ON ANYBODY PICKING OR TEASEING YOUR SON. AND HAVE THE BUS DRIVER STOP THOSE OTHER KIDS. FROM TEASING YOUR SON., IF IT KEEPS GOING CALL THE SCHOOL. AND LET THEM KNOW WHATS GOING. ON AND IF IT STILL GOES ON TELL THE SCHOOL THAT YOU WISH TO HAVE THOSE KIDS PHONE NUMBER TO TALK WITH THEIR MOTHERS. AND COMPLAIN TO THEM . (BUT TELL YOUR SON TO GIVE YOU THE NAMES OF THOSE KIDS FIRST AND LAST NAME. ) SO YOU KNOW WHO TO COMPLAIN ABOUT. GOOD LUCK.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 7:50 PM on Sep. 2, 2009