For moms of twins, please help!

How many of you who wanted to have a natural labor/birth were unable to do that because of the twins? I already have one singleton naturally (no drugs) and I don't like the idea of not having a better experience with this pregnancy. Was an epidural mandatory, or could you choose not to. Did you deliver vaginally, or opt for the c-section? If you delivered vaginally, were you able to push them out no problem, or did something happen? What went wrong that made it so you had to have a c-section?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:58 PM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I had my first naturally (no drugs), and I wanted to do the same with my twins. I was told all along I would have to deliver in the operating room just in case. I ended up having a c-section with the twins because they were both breech. It was obviously not the same experience I had with my first and I did feel a little let down, but it wasn't as awful as I had imagined either. In the end, I am thankful the c-section was available since we would likely have all died if it had happened that way 100 years earlier. Congrats and good luck with your twin pregnancy!

If you haven't already, check out some of the twin groups on CafeMom. "Moms that have or are having twins" is a great group for twin pregnancy and twin infant issues.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:09 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I had no desire to deliver naturally, but I did deliver both vaginally with only 2 pushes for the first and one push for the second at 37w5d. I had an epidural, but it didn't take, so I delivered without pain meds, with baby A face up, so I was in pretty excruciating pain. They don't make you have an epidural, but most will make you have an IV and make you deliver in the operating room just in case.

Like the PP said, check out the Moms of Twins groups.  We have some great ladies in there, that are willing to share their stories with you. 

Congrats!

twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 1:16 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I was all ready to have mine through c-section but a week before they both turned. I opted for a natural labor. My doctor recommended an epidural because of the risk of having to have a section or having to have baby B be turned manually. They let me go almost to ten then gave me an epidural. I pushed for 45 mins then my son went into respitory distress so I ended up having an emergency c-section. Im really glad I went as long as I did without one but also thankful I got one or they would have had to put me under and I would not have been able to see my babes right away after they were out. I delivered in the operating room which im assuming you will to just because of the risk of a section. Hope that helped!
    devo3

Answer by devo3 at 5:40 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• i delivered my twins in the operating rm as precaution but i had mine vaginally nothing went wrong at all. i wanted an epidural but they dnt make u hve 1.
    nattie123

Answer by nattie123 at 11:17 PM on Sep. 2, 2009