How to remove ink from your clothes?

I wash a load of clothes and didn't know that my husband had left an ink pen in his pants pocket. The ink got all over the clothes and is all over in my dryer. I am so frustrated right now and I have no idea how to get it out. What can I do?

mamamonster626

Asked by mamamonster626 at 1:31 PM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Cheap hair spray..... Aqua net.

Could use a hair get, (not sure) but hair spray for sure, works on a white cotton t-shirt.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:52 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• You're going to need to use acetone. I did the same thing with my work uniforms. You can buy acetone at the drug store - it's usually near the nail polish and nail polish removers.
    You'll need some old towels - one to place under the garmet so that the acetone won't take the finish off your table and the other to blot the garmet.
    You can also use the acetone to clean the inside of the dryer. After the ink is cleaned up you will need to use soapy water to remove the acetone residue out of the dryer and then a rag to rinse the soap off. Acetone is flamable so you want to make sure the dryer is cleaned well.
    Hairspray contains alcohol which can lift small areas of ink but it is not going to be enough to get the ink out of an entire load of clothes.
    BTW - you couldn't tell I had gotten ink all over my uniforms. I also left lipstick in a pocket one time - different solution but I got the lipstick out of my clothes too.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 6:54 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I had an ink pen bust in the dryer on my DH work clothes and my grandma told me to soak and scrub them in buttermilk and it worked every bit out even though I had no "real buttermilk" I used milk with a bit of vinegar to make butermilk . Then wash in machine as normal.
    Jessica365

Answer by Jessica365 at 8:26 PM on Sep. 2, 2009