i can't get my 10 month old 2 sleep threw the night she still wakes up

she want aleast 3 bottles a night and if i don't give her them she screams and crys and kicks her crib i feed her alot befor bed and she is still getting up 3 times what should i do ???

sexymilf123085

Asked by sexymilf123085 at 2:01 PM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She obviously still needs those nighttime bottles. My daughter is 15 months and still wakes up to nurse 2-5 times a night. It's normal. Their bodies need constant nutrition because they are growing so fast. She will eventuall grow out of it. In the mean time, just keep the bottles handy for her.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 2:05 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• There is no magic # all babies are different I have 7 kids and only 3 slept through the night at an early age all the others were way over 1 year before they started.
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 2:12 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• She will sleep longer when SHE is ready to do so. But in the meantime, you can google "Elizabeth Pantley." Her website is helpful.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:14 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I don't really agree with the 'she obviously still needs her bottles' opinion. I do think babies need to be sleep trained to a certain extent. My DD was gettting up every 3 hrs. like clockwork to eat. At her 4 mos. appt. our doc. confirmed that as long as she was eating every 4hrs. during the day, she should be able to skip 1 at night and go a full 8 hrs. So one day, I decided that I would not feed her until at least 5 hrs. had passed. She woke up like clockwork and my DH and I took turns going in to soothe her. This only lasted a few days and then she got used to not eating and was fine. Now she's 6 mos. and sleeps from 9:30pm-6am! I never thought it would happen b/c she woke up every 3 hrs. for so many months.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 2:38 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• She's obviously not ready to sleep through the night. Just give her time. Try to give her a pacifier when she wakes up. I do that with my 5 month old DD and she goes back to sleep for a couple hours.
    sopheeahsmommy

Answer by sopheeahsmommy at 3:48 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• "through the night" for a baby is 5 hours....if you're looking for 8-10 hours which would be nice, you're quite a ways off of that....some people are lucky, but typically a baby won't sleep that long...If you look at www.drjaygordon.com, he gives excellent advice about getting a baby to go 7 hours. Although, it's not recommended until one year of age, b/c then they can safely go 7 hours without eating....if your baby is waking up screaming and hungry then I would obviously feed her....my daughter is a year old now and still wakes up between 1 and 3 times a night....if she's hungry, I feed her....it will come with time but 10 months is still very young.. Also, my daughter sleeps with us, so it's much easier to just roll over and feed her and everyone gets more sleep that way :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 4:50 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• maybe she doesn't really need to eat, she just needs something to suck on...did you try a binky or pacifier?...also, sometimes babies just need comfort at night...have you tried sleeping with her in the bed or very close to your bed...my baby will start to wake up, then i put my hand on his belly and he falls back asleep, it's like he just wants to know i'm there...i did read that a lot of babies don't sleep through the night until after a year because they can last longer without eating...if your baby is eating solids already give her something with a lot of calories and fat right before bedtime, not just a bottle of milk...maybe that will make her last a little longer between night feedings
    Kimra

Answer by Kimra at 6:19 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Is your baby used to drinking her bottle as a way to calm herself enough to go to sleep? If so, this may not be a food issue. Just like we might become unable to fall asleep without, say, having the TV on if that's our habit, babies can get used to relying on external things to fall asleep. My second child is now 10 months, and he still wakes up 1 to 3 times/night. He had health issues that we only recently got sorted out, so I was afraid not to go in and calm him down (aka nurse him) whenever he woke. Unfortunately the result is that he hasn't learned to calm himself on his own. Our Pedi said to try the Ferber method but my son cries harder and longer if I keep going in to him. Talked to an expert today who said it's okay to let him cry it out--within 2 weeks tops he'll figure out how to calm himself. Feels rotten, but I guess it's just the first step down the long road of helping him become independent.
    Anonymous