signs a toddler is ready for crib to bed transition?

I didnt see this question in the common questions section! Just curious what some signs are that a baby/toddler is ready for the transition! I found a toddler bedframe for a wonderful inexpensive price and couldnt resist getting it lol. my son is 16 months and still in his crib. he cant climb over yet, but he does try to (he tries kicking his leg over), he often stands, sometimes jumps in the crib and runs around, getting knocked into the rails lol...do you think he's ready?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:12 PM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• if he can get leg over to the knee joint he will figure out it quickly
    you can wait until he escapes or try him out in big boy bed
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 2:17 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• My son is 21/2 and still in a crib and he can climb out. Why make it harder on yourself.I say that because alot of kids will get out of bed so many times before going to sleep.

I remember seeing Nanny 911 and such and the kid gets out of bed like 20x's a night , do you really want to go through that now.

I say wait as long as possible...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:18 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• It really depends on if you think he could get his legs over the rails... ya know, if he is truly tall enough to climb out or fall out. Then yes, by all means get him out of there and put him in the new toddler bed. I moved my guys to their toddler beds i think when they were around 2. Just be prepared for lots of getting out of bed at nite-nite time. It does take some getting used to for them.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 2:21 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• yes my son will most likely be like the toddler's on nanny 911 lol. he isnt tall enough or strong enough to actually climb out yet, but he is very determined!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:25 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• My DD went from a crib to a TWIN size bed when she was about 21 months. My son we are waiting to put him into a toddler bed until he is about 22-23 months. he is 21 months now...so not 2 much longer. he doesnt try 2 escape out of the crib or anything...
    lionslambs

Answer by lionslambs at 3:25 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• 16 months is rather young to move to a bed unless you have to but it really depends on the child. We moved our son at 22 months because he climbed out of the crib and I realized just how easily he could do it (he's tall for his age). he did great for the first week or so, largely because he didn't seem to realize he could get out of bed (our crib converted to a double bed so it looked similar). Once he realized that, it was 6 very tough weeks! I would have tried a crib tent first but it wouldn't work on our crib since the sides weren't even. You might try setting up his toddler bed in the room alongside his crib and let him get use to it, take naps, in it, etc and see how he does. If he seems ok with it, go for it. One suggestion. We found that closing his door and putting a knob protector on it so he couldn't open it, worked better than gating it. Good luck!
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 3:31 PM on Sep. 2, 2009