When your child steals..

So this morning as I was leaving I noticed Dh's Motorcycle was gone, and I just assumed that he rode it today, then I recall him saying he was carpooling with some co-workers, so I called him and he said no he didn't take the bike today. I started to panic and told him it wasn't here. We called the police and reported it missing, we were sure someone stole it and were in disbelief.
Then 2 hours ago, we got a call that it was parked at the high school, and turns out my stepson who is 15 and has a permit snuck the keys and took it this morning. Dh taught him a little how too drive it around the neighborhood, but he never had permission to take it without a license. Is this considered theft on his part?
I think this is the worst thing he has ever done, and most likely I will let Dh handle this one, but I still am in shock. So how would you react and what do you think the best course of action in this circumstance is

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:18 PM on Sep. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• Let the police charge him with driving without a license as I am sure they will anyway. If he doesn't have a job to pay for the tickets, he can work around the house until it is paid off. Technically, he did steal. He took his dad's bike without permission and drove it illegally. I would then ground him for month and delay him taking his driver's test for 6 months. He could have been seriously hurt, he could have seriously hurt someone else, and he could have cost a lot of money in damages. He was reckless and he knew better. I would be pretty harsh.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 2:24 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Taking anything without permission is theft. What he did was illegal & dangerous and most likely to impress his friends or girls. Foolish.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:53 AM on Sep. 3, 2009