For people with Peanut Allergies.

I'm going to try giving my little boy peanut butter for the first time. No one in either of our families has any known food allergies, except for a cousin with a mild citric acid allergy. My question is, if someone has an allergic reaction to peanut butter, what are the symptoms, and how soon after eating the peanut butter will the reaction occur?

Rebecca7708

Asked by Rebecca7708 at 2:23 PM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Symptoms of an allergic reaction include any, some, or many of these: Skin: redness, itching, swelling, blistering, weeping, crusting, rash, eruptions, or hives (itchy bumps or welts) Lungs: wheezing, tightness, cough, or shortness of breath Head: swelling of the face, eyelids, lips, tongue, or throat; headache Nose: stuffy nose, runny nose (clear, thin discharge), sneezing Eyes: red (bloodshot), itchy, swollen, or watery Stomach: pain, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or bloody diarrhea. Anaphylaxis: any combination of allergic symptoms that is rapid, or sudden, and potentially life-threatening. Call an ambulance immediately if you suspect anaphylaxis.

mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 7:44 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• The look and feel of an allergic reaction depends on the body part involved and the severity of the reaction. Some reactions affect many areas, while others affect just one area. Reactions to the same allergen vary by individual, so you won't know how somebody is going to react to something or how long it will take for them to react to it until it actually happens.

mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 7:46 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• @ mom2aspclboy You're the CM allergy expert here! :)
    DavineandLiam

Answer by DavineandLiam at 8:50 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• LOL DavineandLiam! It's just that I've had a lot of experience with this sort of thing, plus I regularly work with families that have children with all sorts of special needs. I help them locate resources to meet their needs, so I get exposed to many different things.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 3:06 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• What the first poster said but, an allergy may not happen the first time a food is eaten. It could happen days, months, years later. Or it may not happen at all. Try not to worry, he may have no problems at all.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:15 PM on Sep. 3, 2009