Was anybody scared to have a boy? How different are they?

I have 2 girls and I just found out monday that the one on the way is a boy. This was quite a shock. I am elated that I have a happy healthy little boy, but I'm a little nervous. I love playing with little girls, but I've always had more trouble around little boys, I just don't know what to do with them. I'm a full-time student, but I do it so I have two 14 hour school days and the rest of the week I stay at home. My 2 girls are in school so I'll be at home alone with my little man 5 days a week. I can't picture that, I don't know what we'll do together. I'm sure that once he's here it will all come naturally & I'll feel silly for ever worying, right now I'm just a little nervous.Anyone else have this feeling? If so how different was having a little boy. Let me stress that I'm not dissappointed, just questioning myself a little bit, I'm in love with him already I just need to know that I can be the best parent possible

shawneewaiting

Asked by shawneewaiting at 2:30 PM on Sep. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• Truthfully, I was scared to death when the dr told me I was having a boy............my first child. In my head I figured it impossible to raise one, I only know about being a girl! LOL! Turns out, he's not that hard at all. Then, number 2 came along. Another boy! This time I was excited. Why? Because I knew what a boy was like already, so I had it mastered. I think boys are easy. Except for the occasional (unless he's mine) accident/injury, they are super simple. My best suggestion for you though, learn to dodge pee early on. If you can master that, you're gonna be fine! LOL!
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 2:37 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Don't worry, I have two boys and I think boys are so easy. And when they are little it's no bit deal, just make sure when changing that diaper you watch that you don't get sprayed. LOL It's natural to not know what to do when it's something completely new and different, just trust you instincts and congrats.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 2:36 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I understand where you are coming from, I was in shock when the doc said, "It's a boy!" last year when my ds was born. He seems to be more mellow than his sister, nothing phases him. I do agree with the AP, no one warned me to change his diaper quickly, they are like little fountains! GL!
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 2:38 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• LOL! You sound just like me 4 years ago when we found out we're going to have a boy after 2 good little girls. I was nervous and shocked and was going to give my baby to my sister who didn't have her own at the time. Now 4 years later, he is a 3 y/o happy good boy staying home with me while his sisters are at school all day started yesterday. My boy is lucky to have a 2 good sisters to play with so he learns the way girls are and kinda realizes he is different from them. I now enjoy stay home with him alone very much and soon enough he will be out too.
    ocsosomom

Answer by ocsosomom at 2:54 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Boys are easy. You'll be fine!! Nothing to be nervous about!! They WILL get hurt, though. Boys are just different like that. No fear. Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:21 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I have 3 boys. Its a daily lesson for me.
    I grew up with 3 sisters, no brothers so everything they do is new and interesting to me LOL.
    I learn daily from them and finally get where the differences between men and women come from LOL.

Sidenote:Im waiting to hear if my sister is having a boy or girl(she's got 4 girls already and isnt sure what she'd do with a boy LOL).
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 4:20 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• First and foremost, CONGRATS! I have three boys myself, and this has been my observations. They will wrestle, they will tumble and do things like jump off the couches (in my head girls are all sitting quietly playing with dolls...I have THREE boys! Don't laugh!) toys, and just about anything with heights....They are fiercely protective of mama, they are bold and funny and sweet and sensitive, they want to be tough, but it's hard to be tough in a four year old body!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 4:23 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• LOL I'm the opposite! I've got a 20 mo old boy and I'm scared the next one (due October) is going to come out a girl. Boys are easy. They're rough and tumble and tell you exactly what's on their minds, or at least mine does. In my (limited baby sitting) experience, girls are a lot more complicated. Added in, I wasn't a girly girl at all so I'm even more scared that I'm going to end up with a girly girl on my hands and not know how to deal with it.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 4:23 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• My son is 4 years old and a handful,I was and still as of today nervous about him since he was born because he's not quiet like a girl.With my son bring along daily frustrations about what's he going to do next.Boys are very challenging and this one has since birth so I'm not going to lie to you but boys are not easy when it comes to discipline because everyday I want to run away from my son since he doesn't listen to me but Good luck with your son.
    wandaluv

Answer by wandaluv at 4:37 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I'm the opposite. I would have been great with all boys. Girls mystify me. She shouldn't, but she does. I guess I thought she would be more like me (foolish, I know) and it never occurred to me she would be full-on into all the standard girl stuff I could never relate to at all. That plus her normal wiring makes her a complete mystery to me more often than not.

Also, my son is the one who behaves and hardly ever got into any trouble; my daughter is the creative, off-the-wall wild child.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 4:44 PM on Sep. 2, 2009