Eating out

We went to Longan's last night for DH's b-day and everytime our waitress brought something over she sat it right in front of my son (he is 11 months old) This happens everywhere we go. Has any body else had this problem. If so how did you deal with it other than just moving the stuff or being rude to the waitress. I am so affraid they are going to put something in front of him and I wont get to it fast enough and he is going to get burnt.

Haven_Doug1013

Asked by Haven_Doug1013 at 2:33 PM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Weird. Put a toy or something on the table in front of him
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:35 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• i remember once...moving quick in front of the waitress when she went to set it down and made sure i said so she could hear "lets put this here where she cant reach it." rest of the meal went smoothly.....basically have your hand out before they set it down, normal reaction is to hand the plate to you.
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 2:37 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Wow really? Just make sure when you order, that you specify that when they bring the food, you want it put out of his reach, near you, because he's little and he can be grabby when he sees his food and you dont want him burnt. If this doesn't happen, you could talk to the manager.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 2:44 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Once I was at Ruby Tuesdays and my friend had ordered soup, and when the server was putting it down right next to him he immediately stuck his hand in the soup and burned his hand. Another server saw it happen and immediately got ice and came RUNNING and SLID on his knees across the floor and put his hand in there. It all happened so fast. My friend and I still laugh at that server, but it was awesome that he just didn't turn his head.

Servers should be trained and have it stressed to to watch out for toddlers!!!
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 2:59 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Another server saw it happen and immediately got ice and came RUNNING and SLID on his knees across the floor and put his hand in there.

Good for the other server that had a fast reaction... The server that sat that down in front of the child should have there @$$ kicked... One thing that really pisses me off is that most servers don't apy attention or they don't care.... Maybe when they get the child medical bill handed directly to them that might change!!!
    Catrin2009

Answer by Catrin2009 at 3:18 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I just grab it before they can put it down on the table. Sometimes I get stares from the servers, other times they just ignore it an ask if I need something else.
    When I was serving families I always asked the parents where they wanted everything. That way drinks wouldn't get spilled and no one would get burned.
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 3:40 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• A little off topic, but we took our son to a fondue place years ago. The server warned us that the hot plate was HOT, so of course our son had to try it to make sure, before we could stop him. He sat for the rest of the meal with his hand in a glass of ice water.

Answer by Bmat at 5:02 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• People who don't have small children don't always realize, and sometimes people are just too flustered to think about how quick a small child is, and that they don't automatically know what's dangerous. I do think training would be great, but that probably won't happen most places. I would remember the servers who are good with your child, and ask for them when you can, and always talk to the manager when you have a good server and say something like "you know that was the best meal we've had out in a long time. So often the servers don't even think about what they put down in front of a baby, but the server tonight (name) was just terrific." Don't hesitate to let the manager know when they aren't careful. I also like the idea of putting things in front of your child so they can't!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 5:02 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• You should have said something the first time, right away. If the wait-person was not responsive, you should have asked to speak with the manager

Answer by rkoloms at 10:07 PM on Sep. 2, 2009