When Your Teen Steals?

So this morning as I was leaving I noticed Dh's Motorcycle was gone, and I just assumed that he rode it today, then I recall him saying he was carpooling with some co-workers, so I called him and he said no he didn't take the bike today. I started to panic and told him it wasn't here. We called the police and reported it missing, we were sure someone stole it and were in disbelief.
Then 2 hours ago, we got a call that it was parked at the high school, and turns out my stepson who is 15 and has a permit snuck the keys and took it this morning. Dh taught him a little how too drive it around the neighborhood, but he never had permission to take it without a license. Is this considered theft on his part?
I think this is the worst thing he has ever done, and most likely I will let Dh handle this one, but I still am in shock. So how would you react and what do you think the best course of action in this circumstance is

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:20 PM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Let the cops handle this one. I think your SS needs to be "scared straight" a little bit. My SS wound up in juvenile and it worked wonders. Cops, judges and probation officers are pretty good at putting a little fear into these kids. Also keep in mind, that if he gets into an accident, you are going to be held liable for any damages he does.
    lbjbarbie

Answer by lbjbarbie at 12:43 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• hmmmm.... im trying to put myself in your shoes, i think i would express my concerns to DH and say that riding a motorcycle WITH a license is dangerous but without proper training its beyond dangerous. but since its DH's son and also his motorcycle i wouldnt make a HUGE deal about it if DH doesnt. if it were my motorcycle i would be pissssed
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 3:37 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Since your stepson does not have a license I would have let the cops handle it.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 5:09 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• break the motor cycle show him whose boss! you go girl!
    hawtrodmama

Answer by hawtrodmama at 11:07 PM on Sep. 6, 2009