What can I expect from my prenatle visits?

I already have had a talk to the doctor about my family and medical history and i have already have had my blood taking.

babygirl967

Asked by babygirl967 at 3:46 PM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• the next appontment should be a complete physical with pap test and std screen. they will measure your uterus (the doc will have two fingers inside your vagina with the other hand pressing on the outside to feel the top of your uterus). They should also do your weight, blood pressure, and check your baby's heartbeat.

At every visit they will check your weight and blood pressure, the size of your uterus (only from outside after the first time), and baby's heartbeat. you will also have a glucose screen at 28 weeks (sooner if you are high risk for GD) and will have blood drawn at all but a couple of appointments.

The ultrasound schedule depends on your practitioner and insurance, but you will have one at least at 20 weeks to check growth, development and gender. you could very well have more ultrasounds than that, though.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 3:54 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• hopefully they will take the time to answer any questions you have. i always took a list of my questions to be sure i didn't forget.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:04 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• much of nothing. After the initial visit, you go, sometimes they take urine, get blood pressure, weight,check your fundal height and check the baby's heartbeat.

After the ultrasound, thats about all the excitement lol. Just wait until the end where you go every week, wait for an hr to see the doc for a 5 minute appt!
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 4:20 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• It depends on who you see for your maternity care. OBs and midwives have dramatically different approaches, different ways to care for their clients/patients.

Overall, in general, you'll possibly discuss your health, options for testing, birth plan, get weighed, check fundal height, check urine, blood pressure, listen to your heart & fetal heart tones.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:32 PM on Sep. 2, 2009