Do teachers now just assume all kids have a computer at home with internet access?

My 4th grader just came in demanding to use the computer because she has to look something up for some assignment/project about a city. She brought no instructions home and can't explain what she is supposed to do but wants help with it. I have no clue what she is talking about or what she has to do and I'm a little ticked that the teacher assumes she has internet access (we do but my daughter isn't allowed to use the computer for various reasons).
I'm mostly irritated that my 9yo can't even remember what the project entails enough to explain to me what she is doing. It's only the 2nd week of school and I'm hating it already.

justanotherjen

Asked by justanotherjen at 3:54 PM on Sep. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• Yeah, we have the form here to fill out here, and the assumption is automatic days that everyone has a computer and internet. The thing with the library is that in a lot of small towns, libraries are not open late, and there are waiting lists and appointments for the limited amount of computers. (We are not such a small town anymore, and we only have six computers, they stay booked, and you cannot request one more than 24 hours in advance.)

Still, since there was apparently no form or discussion about this from the teacher, and this is your oldest, and I know she is, um, quite cunning, I think you should contact the teacher. Since she doesn't have any assignment details, this could be a slick way of putting one over on you and getting internet time.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 4:29 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• well ...yes. And if you dont the local library or school library does have internet access so there are always ways for those who dont, to be able to complete the assignment anyways.

I'm surprised that your school doesnt have a form that you have to sign to allow your child to use the internet and do internet assignments. My DS is in K and even i had to sign a release allowing internet assignments and what not.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:57 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• we have a sheet to sign with all the forms you get at the beginning of the year. check yes or no for computer availability in the home. we also have to sign a release for them to use the school computers.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 4:01 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• most American households have computers. They are becoming necessities rather than luxuries.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:02 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Most library's do. But a lot of kids just assume they are supposed to look things up online and forget that we have libraries that are full of books to help us do research. Maybe the teacher said to *reserach* and your daughter just assumes she has to do it online? What are teh chances she has had more than one day to do the project and is just now "remembering" it? :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:09 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• i think that you should take her to the local library..like the pp said about there being BOOKS instead of internet. if you have banned her from using theinternet in your hom for whatver reason than i think you should have her look up the info she needs form books:) i think that would be a good idea for in the future as well because she might just *think* up a project "needing"theinternet just to have internet time. ya know? but also i would second the contacting the teacher..i mean what are the chances that she didnt give them written instructions? maybe yourdd lost them or etc..
    naturepeace

Answer by naturepeace at 5:18 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Most computers at the libraries are taken whenever I go. Also not everyone has libraries close to them that are easily accessable. I don't drive so saying oh just go to the library is not always feasible. Not all schools have computer labs either.
    mommybug77

Answer by mommybug77 at 5:43 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• She won't be using the computer alone, you can supervise and use the opportunity to show proper computer usage and internet research. It is an important skill to have. As she gets higher in grade it will be an absolute necessity -- especially once she leaves elementary school. Books are great and the library essential, but internet research definitely has its place -- not to mention it is open 24/7.

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 6:53 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I doubt most teachers would be so bold as to assume students have internet access/computers available at home, but they do know darn well that there are computers and internet access at the library.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:14 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I am wondering as well if she "forgot" to bring home the proper directions. Again as someone suggested if it is internet related you should sit with her and work with her. She will then do what she needs to do for only that project.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 7:31 PM on Sep. 2, 2009