should non-medical people,be giving others medication through a shot?

My mental health doctor said I could take the shot one time a month but when I got the shot home,the instructions said,to take 2 times a months and somebody in my family[who aren't medically trained] can give it to me.Also the doctor said it could go in my arm or back and the instructions say in my butt only.If it is my butt only,wouldn't that hurt me everytime I sit down for a couple of days?I was looking forward to taking the shot but now not every 2 weeks and on my butt.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:55 PM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Health

• Could you have someone from your doctor's office sit down and give a quick training session on giving a shot? I don't know what you are taking, but some injections are intended for deep intramuscular administration which is why it would go in the butt. Injecting in the butt is not too hard, they just have to be careful not to hit the sciatic nerve. The best way I learned was to divide one butt cheek into four quadrants and inject in the upper outer quadrant.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 4:05 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I wish i could help you. But seeing as my aunt doesnt take her medication i really have no clue. Good luck to you. And i hope that the other woman here can be nice. ...try google?
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:58 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• It doesn't take a whole lot of medical expertise to stick a needle in someone and squeeze the medicine out. I wouldn't worry about that. I would ask your pharmacist about the dosage and the placement, though. Sometimes doctors don't know everything.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 4:02 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Just call the doctor back and ask. Anyone can use a needle. What do you think diabetics do? Fertility injections,etc.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 4:05 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I agree about what Diabetics do and others but this is potent medication, so I would think that if you messed up it would somehow hurt you.But what Isarejman said was good info and you can tell she's medically trained and I can't see anyone in my family who would help me do that,they don't need the stress either,that's alot of pressure to put on someone.My family aren't the types to do things like that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:17 PM on Sep. 2, 2009