Why are most navy wives all about the drama?

I dont understand this, but most navy wives are into crap talking and gloating. Like I figured we are all grown women so we shouldnt act like that but man the women I have met are all about it. Like if their hubby is a higher rank they think they are better then you or if their hubby has a more dangerous job they are better then your family, or they talk so much crap behind your back but then are all bff to your face. Its like highschool all over again. Except worse cause you deal with that and your kids and your hubby being gone and being 4000 miles away from your family. I just want to know whats up their ass all the time.

sedelagarza

Asked by sedelagarza at 3:59 PM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Just for Fun

• welcome to being a military wife! we should all be supporting one another, but most are just catty gossips. It's tough to be alienated by the people that should be realting to you the most, but take it with a grain of salt. they are just miserable hags.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 4:01 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I was going to say, it goes for all branches of service. As a wife/veteran I tend to stay away from other military wives. I went to one of my husband's FRG meetings when he was deployed and it was nothing but gossip.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 4:07 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• That's not just Navy honey. That's Army and Marines and everything else in between.
    You learn to keep your distance.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 4:07 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I chuckled when I read this question because I am a former Navy wife. When dh was on WestPac in 1993 I had the opportunity to fly over to Singapore and Phuket to meet up with him. I traveled with two other Navy wives, and we had an amazing time! But there were certain areas in Phuket that the guys wouldn't take us. I asked dh about it and he said that he wouldn't take us to the areas where the bars were because there would be guys there cheating on their wives and they didn't want us to see them. So we all spend the week in Phuket, the guys get underway and we fly home to San Diego. Lo and behold, dh calls me from Bahrain and says that he got called to Captain's Mast because I (me, the one who didn't go ANYWHERE near the bars!) was at home telling all the other wives that I saw so and so cheating, including the Ombudsmen's husband! Oh my gosh, I was absolutely devastated! I called this woman and confronted her, (CONT.)
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 4:19 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• (CONT.) and told her that I never went anywhere near where her husband was, in fact, I never even saw him. It was such a mess, thank God dh didn't get in trouble, but the Ombudsmen shot me daggers on the morning the ship came home, she actually cried because she and I were wearing the EXACT same dress!! :) I look back now and can laugh at the whole thing, but at the time it was horrible. There were so many gossipy, catty women, I just couldn't understand it because we were all in the same situation with our spouses thousands of miles away and we couldn't support each other. My heart goes out to all of the military wives on CM, it is a tough life! If you ever need to talk, PM me, i have been there, done that! And I promise I won't be catty, just nice!
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 4:24 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Why? Because the average age of a woman who marries into a military relationship is 20 years! So of course its like high school. She went straight from high school, left mommy and daddy, and jumped into her sailor's arms. (This statistic goes for all military, not just Navy. Although AF has a slightly higher age of marriage.)

Then she gets shipped off to God-knows-where. She's away from all her former friends and familiar things. In many ways she is still very much a little girl. She hasn't LIVED yet. Many of these young wives have children very quickly, which usually doesn't allow them to work outside the home nor go to school. So they have no way to better themselves and really experience life.

So when you get a young girl, in the middle of nowhere, with no life experience, too much time on her hands, bored to death, and other girls around in the same situation,....you get gossip. LOTS of gossip.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:36 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I was an Army spouse for 14 yrs, yeah, those wives are everywhere. Although I noticed that wives of higher NCO's or jr officers were the worst. When the husband starts getting up in rank, their wives tend to be a lot nicer. One of the nicest ladies I used to lunch with on a regular basis was the wife of our batt commander. My ex was an E5 at that time, sure made him nervous when I'd call my friends house and call her DH by his first name. Which he requested of all the wives of the company, like he told us. I'm your husbands boss...not yours, then he'd laugh and say he wasn't even the boss in his own house.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 4:38 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• LIke one time when my hubby was on dep. I went to a bowling ally with the squadrons wives and like all of our kids and our kids ran infront of this couple while bowling and i chased them and they didnt do it again next thing you know we are all leaving and I have this woman follow me and tell me Im a bad parent and the reason my hubby wasnt with me is because Im a whore and all kinds of junk coming from her mouth and her screaming at me to hit her. Im like whoa lady calm down then her hubby comes out yelling junk at me turns out it was a master chief and his wife. News got back to my hubby on the boat who was an e-4 at the time now an e-5 and like I had to go through all this bs with the ombudsman who got chewed by the skipper cause of all of it. Well it got smoothed out when they found I wasnt at fault and my hubby was clear but I couldnt report the m.c. cause he was in civis.
    sedelagarza

Answer by sedelagarza at 4:49 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• My favorite line--"Don't you know who my husband is?"
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 5:23 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• idk what women you are hanging out with but most navy wives iknow are chill, idk if its just cause of the people i hang out with or what but like most everyone has said its not just navy wives its like that with every branch! you just have to learn to ignore it. If they want to live like that then let them, they are only secluding themselves!
    KPMAMA

Answer by KPMAMA at 7:23 PM on Sep. 12, 2009