My 21 month old says probably 20 words or more but he is not always easily understood?

Like he'll say ba for ball the daa sound for dog and bu for bubbles he doesnt sound out the word anyone else have a similar problem how can I help him

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:13 PM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just keep repeating it the right way (don't be tempted to say it his cute way). There is supposed to be language explosion around 22 months, so it may be just around the corner. If he doesn't seem up to speed in a few months at his 2 year check up discuss it with your pediatrician and see if he needs a speech evaluation.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:17 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• just repeat the word and ask him to say it back to you. sound it out slowly, say "bu-bbles" and have him repeat it like that then the full word together. most kids aren't easy to understand for strangers and some family/friends til they are about 4, b/c they are figuring out how to say things.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 4:18 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Sounds like pretty typical toddler speak. I agree with repeating the word back to him so he hears the correct pronounciation. However, be careful with trying to get him to say it correctly right away. He will get frustrated as he may not actually know that h e isn't saying it correctly. Let him try it a second time them move on. By 2 he should have between 100 and 200 words that he consistently uses (they may not be understandable to everyone but he's consistent with what they mean). If he hasn't hit that or he doesn't seem to understand you well, definitely talk to your doctor at his 2 yr check up. Speech therapy can do wonders if needed. My 2 yr old has been in it since he was 18 months.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 4:26 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• My dd is 21 mos and does the same thing. She had her talking explosion at 19 mos and says over 100 words and is trying to put sentences together, but I can hardly understand her! Everyday it gets a little better. I just keep repeating the right word and move on from there. If I really have NO idea what she is talking about I ask her to say it again. When she says it again I try to catch on or ask her to point it out. Everyday one word seems more understandable then the last time but it's so hard to understand everything she says. Just keep talking, ask him to point things out and such. He will get there soon!! Also, I've realized the more kids my dd is around, the more I can understand what she says!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 4:33 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• My 4 and 6 yr olds didn't speak clearly until age 3 and are now very articulate. You would never know now. They just took off after age 3 and got it quickly. My ds didn't speak clearly until age 4 and speaks very well now. None except ds had speech therapy and it was short lived.

My two siblings didn't speak well either until ages 3 & 4. Nothing was ever done about it and they are now two very intellegent, articulate people.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:34 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Just say the words right, and when you talk to him or read books look at him when reading. also if your really concerned talk to his dr.
    MAyers

Answer by MAyers at 5:09 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Time to call Early Intervention and have him evaluated for speech therapy. It doesn't hurt and he could get some very good help!!!

Help is available! Why make him wait because "he'll eventually catch up"?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:38 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Oh, by the age of 3 people other than the main caregiver should be able to understand at least 85% of what is said.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:39 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• It doesn't sound like he is behind to me. All of my kids had extensive vocabularies by that time and spoke in complete sentences, but my middle son just got in too much of a hurry to say what he wanted to say and would cut off the end of the word too. Just calmly repeat the word to him and have him copy you like others have said. If he is usually in a hurry to do things, make him slow down a little bit. It's hard to train them, but well worth it.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 6:17 PM on Sep. 2, 2009