Did you delay cord clamping?

After doing quite a bit of research, I'm planning to delay the clamping of my baby's cord this time around.

Have many of you done this?

If so, did you intentionally hold the baby in a certain place (i.e. below or above placenta)?

How long did it take for your baby to start breathing?

Any other info you'd like to pass along?

fluud7

Asked by fluud7 at 4:18 PM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i hard thats a bad idea.. that it can harm ur baby.. i would do a lot more research and talk to the pediatrican and my dr 1st
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:34 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Thank you, but as I said, I've already done much research. I have yet to find ANY study proving that it is harmful, but have found study after study showing it's great benefits. I have spoken with my midwife already and she is supportive of delayed cord clamping. I'm just asking for others' experiences.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 4:36 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• go for it if theres benefits... i dont see y not..what are some benefits
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:38 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Why would you want to delay cord clamping?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:48 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I am sorry you are getting such stupid answers, if you even want to call them that! You would think these women could hop on google or something and look and see the benefits, but I guess not. I personally have not done it however so I don't have anything to really share with you, just wanted to comment that it IS something with some benefits and little to no risks...
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 6:23 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• The next and perhaps most critical newborn baby care decision to be made for your baby's welfare is cord clamping - immediate or delayed. The benefits of delayed cord clamping, which is defined as waiting until the cord has stopped pulsating until clamping or cutting it, are well-documented.  Once the baby is born, its entire circulatory system undergoes an amazing transformation to allow the baby to receive oxygen via its lungs rather than through the umbilical cord - a valve in the heart closes, the lungs perfuse with blood and eventually a first breath is taken.  When this delicate balance is interrupted by prematurely severing the child's lifeline, its umbilical cord, numerous undesirable side effects can occur.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:23 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• That above, plus this can help moms to learn a bit about it.

Yes~  I absolutely did delay!!  

I had waterbirths.   In birth, baby just came up to my breast immediately from the water, cord still attached to placenta (still inside me).   So the cord went down then up~  natural.

Baby started breathing within a few seconds of exposure to air, each time.

Glad to see you're investigating your options!  :-D

doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:27 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Thanks, ladies, for the information and responses! I had not found that link yet, and I appreciate all the info I can get! :)
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 2:48 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• With both my babies we waited for the placenta to come out before cutting the cord, in both cases the cord had stopped pulsating.
    In my culture this is normal, i don't understand where the ladies get the idea that it can be dangerous to do that.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 9:28 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Oh i wanted to add that my first was on my chest looking around but my second started nursing withing minutes of her birth.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 9:29 AM on Sep. 3, 2009