why is ok for people to call my daughter fat?

my daughter is 5 months and wearing 12 months clothes when people see her they ask me how old she is than they call her fat

keithamy06

Asked by keithamy06 at 4:18 PM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Who cares? This is the only time in her life it will be acceptable for her to be fat. I wouldn't waste my time worrying about it. I promise you she will not remember it.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 4:20 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• it irks me when ppl call my daughter fat too, she's 3 years old but is a little over 3 ft tall and weighs 43lbs, she's not fat, just solid..i'm glad she's not scrawny, atleast i know she's healthy
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 4:22 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• people just like to judge. I had a coworker who would call my duaghter fat. We had to work hard to catch up her weight and got her to the 50th percentile. Her son is in the 5th at best. So by comparision she is bigger, but she wasn't fat! She was jsut a healthy growing baby. She would get the chubby checks just before a growth spurt and look like a butterball. Then she's stretch out and be a little underweight a gain. Now she's 2 and in 12 month pants and 18 month tops. So I have the opposite problem you do. I always get "she's HOW OLD?" Just try to look past it and focus on the happy healthy child part.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:22 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Not to be mean but if she is 5 months and wearing 12 months she is either fat or very tall. I can see a 5 month old wearing say nine months but twelve is a big difference from what she "should" be. Each baby is different, some are smaller, some are bigger, as long as the Dr is not worried, I would smile and say yeah shes my little butterball. And if they get really bad, tell them that you over feed her just for the hell of it and walk away.

I think fat babies are cute tho,
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 4:24 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• i had a person in a storecall my daughter at that age FATSO

i said...we went to the doctor yesterday and he said that she was very healthy...and i walked away

people who are otherwise very polite can be extremely rude to moms, why they think we are open target for their lame and wrong opinions is beyond me

i am sure your baby is adorable, and a little extra 'fat' is essential for healthy brain growth
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 4:25 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• i clicked on your proflie & BTW your baby is NOT fat, she's beautiful... i miss my dd being that age!
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 4:28 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• 5 months in 12 months clothes is fat or goin to be tall...but it is a child and they should ignore it. so who cares a kid is a kid!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:29 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• She's adorable. Babies are supposed to have some fat on them. She looks perfect in every way.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:30 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I know that most childrens clothing companies do not consult each other on sizing. My 3 yr old son wears some things that are 18 month still. And my 2 yr old daughter wears some 3T stuff. It just depends on the manufacturer. If your doctor isn't concerned, I wouldn't be either.
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 4:31 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Aww. She doesn't look fat. In fact, in the bigger picture, her top looks a touch big on her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:33 PM on Sep. 2, 2009