I called the cops on my son for not going to school

I called the cops because my 15 did not want to go to school. He made me cry and scared the crap out of me. Did I do the right thing?

dillonsma

Asked by dillonsma at 4:24 PM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Who made you cry and scared you? the cop or your kid?
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 4:25 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• YES!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:25 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• i would say u did... i know other moms that called the cops u should have called the school too they will give him ISS
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:27 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• yes, let the cops scare him like he does to you

is there a father or father figure around, someone his own size

sucks to have a big teen and be scared of him
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 4:28 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I think you did the right thing. If your son won't follow the rules, he has to see that there are consequences. I would probably call the school as well, and talk to his counselor. Good luck. I know how difficult the teen years can be!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 4:41 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Sometimes as a parent of a teen you have few options left. I have called the police on an out of control, high, teenager. Then I let his butt sit in Juvie for a week until the hearing. He RE-learned that mama don't play that game. My sisters son went to juvie for truancy. If you don't make them go to school and intervene anyway you can the courts can FINE YOU or put YOu in jail. At least in CA and TX they can, and do.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:43 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Yes you did. (hugs) sometimes doing the right thing feels crappy. Remember you are helping him not hurting him. Keep us posted or send me a msg if you want to talk honey.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 4:52 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• GOOD JOB! IS CALLED TOUGH LOVE YOU WANT TO RAISE A GOOD MAN NOT A FREAKING LOSER!! HE NEEDS TO SPEDN SOMETIME IN JUVIE. NOW HE KNOWS YOU MEAN BUSINESS
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 8:07 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Yes, you made the right decision. My aunt did this to my cousin and he was younger. He had to go to court for truancy, received a fine/ticket and a plan to stay in school. My aunt made him pay off the ticket. He learned, he goes to school unless he really is sick. Sometimes, tough love is what is needed. I am proud of you. Stand your ground, your son will thank you later.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:59 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I think you did right...I do not know about where you live, but here they send parents to jail for truant kids. I know if one of my kids ever did that to me I would have no choice but to call the police so that everyone would understand that I really wanted my kid to go to school they just made it impossible.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:26 AM on Sep. 3, 2009