Why do we wear underwear? (in connection with the slew of other questions)

I never questioned when I was told to put clean underwear on. I learned from a young age to put them on and as I got older a bra too. But I never thought why. I just assumed it's part of normal dress. So what's the real reason for wearing underwear? I can think of possiblities, but is there an actual here's why type of explaination?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:50 PM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Just for Fun

• google it...if you don't put a cotton layer between your mucous membranes that are exposed and your pants/jeans or whatever, there is a risk of infection and it's gross....also, its very common for UTI's when you wear a thong...the thong that is up your butt has a tendency when you sit down to come towards the front and that's just like wiping your butt from back to front...again, it's gross. and NO, that doesn't meant someones butt is dirty..it just means there's bacteria and it can be passed. yuk
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:55 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Comfort factor? This isn't something I have ever thought about either, lol. I guess to prevent clothes from rubbing or chafing especially jeans. Also to cover our woman parts, lol, if we wear short skirts and such, Other than that, I don't know.
    chavela_carlita

Answer by chavela_carlita at 4:54 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• So our pants don't smell.
    asiamommi

Answer by asiamommi at 4:55 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• also women who wear thongs are more likely to get yeast infections , just thought I'd throw that in there
    sylvia-ann

Answer by sylvia-ann at 5:01 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I've read a number of things on here in the last half hour about 'a breeding ground for bacteria' has no one realized this is what soap and water are for? If your pants are rubbing you that close, then your pants are too tight.

And ladies I'm sorry to say this, but if we are all old enough to be married and having children...I think that we are old enough to not be using cutesy names for our body parts. I never used them with my kids...and am trying to break my stepboys from using the terms their grandmother teaches them.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 5:10 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• eye rolling

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:19 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Well, I suppose there was a reason for them to become a common part of a person's wardrobe, but you could do your own experiment to come to your own conclusion.
    Stop wearing underpants for a week or a month and experience the pros and cons for yourself.
    Come back to let us know your synopsis of your experiment and whether it is, or is not, worth it to wear underpants.
    Best wishes!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 6:31 PM on Sep. 2, 2009