very random question but im really curious....

has anyone ever eaten escargo? is escargo snails in a shell or is it a slug? do people go into a garden and just get snails/slugs to cook or are there people that breed snails/slugs specifically for eating them? can you even breed a snail/slug?
lol im aware of how random this is but i was thinking about it and now im curious :)

SThompson21

Asked by SThompson21 at 5:00 PM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I had it in high school for a French Class. It was in the shell and you just sucked it out, kinda like an oyster. As far as the rest of your question, I don't know. I do know that it was slimey and gross.
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 5:02 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Yeah people do breed them havent tried them,though. Sorry I dont know too much but I saw it on a cooking channel
    Skurvy

Answer by Skurvy at 5:03 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I've never tried them, but they are definitley snails. The ones I've seen are usually pretty large, over an inch in diameter, so I don't know about picking them out of your garden.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 5:03 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I've tried them before to. Beyond the texture issue they weren't bad. Of course I only really remember that they tasted buttery because there was a lot of butter on them, lol.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:06 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Had 'em in France and they are delicious when prepared right!
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 5:10 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I had them in french class, too. they weren't bad. they pretty much take on the flavor of what they are cooked in, typically butter, garlic and white wine and sometimes a few herbs. they are a little rubbery though, at least the ones i had were. and it was the easiest 10 bucks I ever made! lol, my class was full of chickens
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 5:13 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Ew... No, and I will NEVER try it. LOL
    SAMNMAYASMOM

Answer by SAMNMAYASMOM at 5:27 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I think they farm a specific kind. Snails, that is. I've avoided them as well as frog legs and stick to nicoise in France.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:01 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• i love frog legs lol. my dad use to go giggin for them and then come home and cook them. yummmm
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 6:06 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I never have and never will...lol.
    I did watch Gordon Ramsay do a piece on one of his cooking shows where it was discussed that there are all sorts of different types of snails and there is a particular snail that is kept in special gardens with special soil so they won't ingest any common contaminants like the dirt in our backyards.
    He washed them, and put them in a fry pan with oil, garlic, and other things to cook. Then he and his kids ate them by pulling the snail's bodies out of the shells, which looked so disgusting...lol.
    They are not slugs.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 6:12 PM on Sep. 2, 2009