Medical Transcriptionist

Anyone out there in this profession that works from home? how did you get started, and where did you take classes from? I am looking into this but trying to get a good idea of what lies ahead before I take the jump. Thanks in advance for the info!

smltwnmom

Asked by smltwnmom at 5:00 PM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Money & Work

• U.S. Career Institute is where I took my class, and it was all at home, on my own time. It is very affordable. But, as a fair warning, I have had no luck finding work from home in this profession. Every company wants you to have 2 yrs experience in the field. Other than that, I really enjoyed the course, and it was very educational. The school was great about helping when I needed, and getting back to me if I had any problems or questions.
    I ended up working with Scentsy, since I couldn't find a work at home job with the med trans.
    http://www.scentsy.com/My2Scents
    at least this way, I can still stay home with my kids and make good money!
    NicoR

Answer by NicoR at 7:39 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Agreed with the above poster. I actually own a medical transcription company. I went to a brick and mortar school for my education. I also worked for 7 years in the field before moving to work at home. Several more years doing research after that before starting my own business. Work at home sounds really good, but is very difficult to obtain without the experience in the field. It actually also takes a great deal more time to perform on a daily basis than most people realize. I personally work 10-14 hour days, 7 days per week most weeks. I have more to do than the average MT because of operating the business and managing employees, work flow, business taxes, etc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:07 PM on Sep. 3, 2009