How can I get my baby to go poop more regular

I have a 10 week old girl....I feed her half breastmilk and half gentle ease enfamil...She gets really fussy because she only poops once a week. I know they say that is ok for babies to go that long but I can tell she wants to go more often...my doctor told me to do 2oz of baby/gerber prune/apple juice twice a day but I did tha for two days and got nothing but lots of gas...I have tried rubbing her stomach,warm baths, water, juice and nothing makes her regular.

I am thinking of swiching formulas-does anyone know what the best formula is for babies who have constipation...

she also has a bad rash on her neck and chest

I just dont know what to do to make her regular

rojo1226

Asked by rojo1226 at 5:03 PM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you can't get her to poop more regularly. she's a baby. they poop when the poop and they cry when they want to and they eat when they want to.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:05 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• She is breasfed she probably wont go often. Tehy use it all up. My kids only went once a week and it was a huge explosion. I would not give her any kind of juice even if her doc said to, she is just too young and i wonder if thats what is hurting her tummy. High iron formulas will cause constipation. Also if theya re started on solids and their tummy is not ready it will cause constipation.
    stickyfingers

Answer by stickyfingers at 5:06 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I've been my daughter prune juice since she was about 8 weeks old(she's now 8 months old). 2 days probably isn't long enough, you need to do it for longer to get the results you want. My doc suggested half an ounce to one ounce , twice a day. When she was younger, I just gave her half an ounce once a day and that was plenty for her. It worked wonders for her and still seems to working. It won't hurt her as long as you give her 100% prune juice and don't over do it. It can be quite messy if you do. Good luck!
    msfila1980

Answer by msfila1980 at 5:11 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• What do you eat? How often do you go?

My son who is now nearly 2 tends to go as regular as I do and always has really with me breastfeeding him. I eat a lot of fruit and greens.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 5:32 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I go like once a day....I eat like brown rice, beens and cheese, milk, some meat, cereals....I started to up my fiber to see if that would help but no its just made go alllllll the time hahahaha
    rojo1226

Answer by rojo1226 at 5:35 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• When she poops, is it hard pellets or still soft? If still soft, it's NOT constipation and that IS regular for an infant.

I would not try switching formulas unless she's having pain. I would consider backing off the formula in favor of breastmilk if you can do that.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:39 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I tried to do that when I was breastfeeding, but my child reacted badly to the formula. Her stomach got really swollen and she didn't poop, and all she did was cry. I would recommend switching formulas or using straight breast milk.
    MontessoriMo226

Answer by MontessoriMo226 at 7:02 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I use massage techniques on my little girls tummy and she poops now once a day instead of once every 2-3 days. Apply gentle pressure on her intestinal tract and make sure you follow that direction and not the opposite. Also, ColiCalm helps with infants that are a little "backed up" and gassy. Beware though, it will turn things black if spilled or your baby spits up. Looks like tar, but it's all natural and works pretty well.
    ReadyForMadelyn

Answer by ReadyForMadelyn at 9:12 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• A nurse told me if their having a hard time going to get a themometer and stick the tip up their booty like you were taking a rectal temp, and hold it there for about 20 seconds. It should stimulate them to want to push it out and should help baby poop. It helped my son.
    loganboydsmommy

Answer by loganboydsmommy at 7:05 PM on Apr. 8, 2012