Are your kids going to school Sept 8?

President Obama announced that on September 8 he will deliver a national address directly to students on the importance of education. In advance of this address, the following resources will be provided: a menu of classroom activities for students in grades preK-6 and for students in grades 7-12. These are ideas developed by and for teachers to help engage students and stimulate discussion on the importance of education in their lives.

For more info:
http://www.ed.gov/admins/lead/academic/bts.html

I have heard that many parents will not allow their children to participate. Will yours?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:07 PM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes mine is...
    Skurvy

Answer by Skurvy at 5:08 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Mine are out of school now - but if they were still in school - yes - considering his planned "talking points" for that day coupled with how I feel about the government right now - yes, I would keep them out of school.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 5:09 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I guess I don't really care either way, but it's not likely that my son's school will participate because it's a Private Catholic School.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:10 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I'm of two minds. I plan to find out more about what my daughter's school plans to do. We're in a reasonably conservative area, so I don't think I'm the only mom who doesn't agree with this president on everything. At the very least, I'd talk to my child first, let her know what's going on, and tell her that she doesn't have to support anything that goes against what she believes in. Education may be less controversial than things like gay rights or sex ed, but I'm going to stand up for my child.

And does anyone think that a Repub. president, any Repub. president would be able to do something like this?
    MonicaE521

Answer by MonicaE521 at 5:14 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• NO!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:15 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Yep..mine will be there. She hates missing school and I am not going to pull her out of school in a nonsensical boycott of her education based on my political views, whether I agree with this or not. It can't be worse than having NCLB forced upon the schools.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 5:16 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• NO
    MHaney1980

Answer by MHaney1980 at 5:17 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Yes, and I plan to watch it online as well.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 5:19 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• My child doesn't start until the 9th.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 5:24 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I will be having a little talk with my son and I will be calling the school board first to see what they are planning .

tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 5:35 PM on Sep. 2, 2009