Any other pregnant moms starting to freak out about the swine flu?

I'm 3 months pregnant and due in February. I've been hearing all this stuff in the news lately about the swine flu and how it's much more likely to kill pregnant women particularly in their 3rd trimester. I'll be in my 3rd trimester at the height of flu season. I'm getting scared to death.

I recently read a news story about a pregnant woman who died and they took her baby by c-section. It looks like the baby will be ok. But it's so horrible.

I know there's going to be a shot out, but honestly an experimental shot scares me to death too! Who knows what's in there and how it will effect my unborn baby. Sometimes those shots do not work out well!

Anybody else feel the same or can give some reassurance?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:19 PM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i wasnt but my dad is since this is my sons first year in school he thinks he'l get it and give it to my 3 day old baby!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:23 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• im not freaking out.. mainly because they dont even have the shot yet, but i definitely havent decided on whether or not to get the shot.
    i am due in feb as well, so ill most likely just be insanely worried about any cough or headache i have.
    i really dont want to get the shot, and i also dont want my three year old getting it.
    And he is the most dangerous as far as spreading it since he is in preschool.

i dont know....
    redderbedder

Answer by redderbedder at 5:28 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I'm not freaking out yet, but I am very concerned. I can't fight off anything, I get all the bugs my dd does, and they say I should already be immune. I am worried for me(preggo) & dd (2) but undecided on the vaccine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:30 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I'm not worried in the least. IT has not proven to me any more deadly than the regular flu, in fact they have said on more than one occasion its actually a fairly mild flu. Most of what the media says is scare tactics. Not to mention the vax they have for it, is still experimental and has had some extremely sever side effects. I see more potential harm to me and my unborn child by getting vax'd for it, then not.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 5:37 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I'm not gotta stress over it. I have a friend who's sister just had her baby last week and she was bout 7months pregnant and when to the doctor because her hips were hurting and she had a mild cough and she just thought it was from the camp fire she had been around. Come to find out she had the Swine Flu, pnemounia, and a sinus infection. They caught it soon enough that she and the baby are ok and she actually went over her due date but he was only 6lbs 1oz 18in long. As for the shot my 3yr old, my self, my husband, and our son(due sept 10th) will NOT be getting the shot. Everytime i've gotten any flu shot i've gotten sicker and my daughter has been fine with out a flu shot since she was born.
    EJsHottMama

Answer by EJsHottMama at 5:48 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• im not pregnant anymore, but i had my son 3 months ago. i was FREAKING OUT while i was pregnant, especially because i am still in college. now im just FREAKING OUT because im afraid my son is going to get. im freaking out so bad, i literally have nightmares about the swine flu every night. i carry hand sanitizer in my purse and everytime someone coughs or sneezes i just want to get away from them. its driving me crazy. i wish it would just go away.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 5:54 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Nope not at all! My 2 year old culture tested positive on July 24th and my 4 year old cultured tested positive on Aug 7th but I didnt freak! Yeah I can get it and yeah it can be serious but what is the point on freaking out about it? Protection & prevention are one thing, but freaking out does no good
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 5:55 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• No. I am not worried about the swine flu any more than the seasonal flu. I haven't been around anyone who is sick. I utilize good old soap and water before preparing food, eating food, and after using the facilities. I'm in my third trimester and healthy. If I were to get sick I'd watch for excessive vomiting, diarhea, and dehydration.

Freaking out is pointless.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 6:22 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I'm with amileegirl - i'm in my third trimester now & not freaking one bit. it's very easy to wash your hands, don't put your hands in your mouth, use hand sanitizer when your out, and just don't let strangers or anyone touch your LO without washed/sanitized hands first.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 8:04 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Yes, I am freaking out!!!!! LOL I work in a childcare center with two confirmed cases. I am 13 weeks and so afraid of getting it. I know I shouldn't be, but I just can't help it.
    Makenseysmom

Answer by Makenseysmom at 8:17 PM on Sep. 2, 2009