How many after school activities are to many?

I have my second grader doing a few things ...
once a week she has piano lessons,
once every other week she has voice lessons,
once a week she has swimming lessons,
Saturday mornings she has an art class,
I want to add a language lesson as well but I do not want to get her over whelmed.

She loves swimming and her music and art so it is not like I am forcing her to do any of it. These are things I let her pick for herself and in doing so she looks forward to each one of them. I just wonder if it is to much. What do you think?

Noosa

Asked by Noosa at 5:22 PM on Sep. 2, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• i think that as long as she keeping her grades up and being good/helpful around the house when possible let do what she doing.! and congradulate her
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:25 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I think 2 things should be a limit - before they start being overwhelmed and start losing focus on what they should be doing - school. we did a few extra things last year and it was too much, they were too tired to focus in school and the grades went way down. as soon as we cancelled a class each they did much better and had way more energy and excitement for the one thing.

my girls have Sparks (6yr old) and Brownies (8yr) on tuesdays

6yr old has trampoline and tumbling class on Wed.

8yr old has piano saturdays.

we got rid of dance, cadets and swimming lessons.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 5:28 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I have 3 kids they are limited to two activities each. My husband has a shift change every 6 months and for the majority of our marriage he has been on swingshift which leaves me alone to take the kids everywhere. I have been very lucky to coordinate with other parents since i see most of them at several of the same activities. Hubby just went to days and will be helping out with driving, I considered allowing more activities but we decided that they could pick something new up between sport seasons. Our rule is firm though no more than 2 activities at one time (do the math thats 6 things my kids are involved in because it would be too easy for them to all do the same thing lol) I had to set a limit otherwise i would probably go bonkers.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 5:28 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I think two is good. Depends on how many days/week that each one takes up, like here swimming is 2x a week, while gymnastics and many others are only 1 day a week. Dont' foget that they have to have time to do nothing, play in the yard, ride bikes and just whatever their imaginations think up!
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 5:44 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I agree with PP. Too many and they loose free time, plus I really want to see what my son excells at. I watch to see if he enjoys it by the end of the season and so forth. We do two each this year, so far it was soccer for spring and fall of last year(when 4 almost 5). Now we have soccer and added karate(5 almost 6 yrs.old). My hubby and I both work, so too many would be a handful for us to make each practice and game, which we would want to do. We are very involed in each of his activities. Class mom, soccer coach and etc. I think with too many it would be hard to focus on any one thing well enough.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Sep. 3, 2009