Should I go to school to become a nurse?

I have always wanted to be an RN nurse.I have 4 kids,ages 6 and under.I just recently got married and don't know if that would hurt my chances on getting a grant or financial aid.I'm just worried about going to college for 4 years.Also with small children.I know that I would always have a job in the health care field.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:28 PM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Money & Work

• i say go for it!! GOOD LUCK!
    2.tyme.mom-2-be

Answer by 2.tyme.mom-2-be at 5:30 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• YES YES YES.

Easy answer there.

You cannot go wrong getting more education.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:34 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I say go for it. I have been working on mine at a community college for 4 years and taking it slow. I am now an acceptance letter away from a nursing program and 3 courses out of my AA. If you do it I would maybe do it slow since you have so much going on. I wish you luck and if you need any encouragement let me know. It has been a long tough road but will be worth when I have that degree in my hands.
    coala

Answer by coala at 5:34 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I recently graduated from University of Maine with my associates degree in nursing (RN). It was very difficult since I have 4 children still living at home and had to work at the same time to support my faminly. Fortunately I have a very supportive wife (yes I'm a dad instead of a mom on cafe mom...don't ask)and, although life was very stressful, it was workth it.
    My best advice would be...1) talk to your spouse and set clear goals as to waht your study time will be and make sure he can handle watching the kids during those times, 2) Let some things go or you will drive yourself nuts! (i.e., the dishes will still be there and the laundry isn't going anywhere so don't fret it) 3) Take the Hurst review while you are in your second semester...this is taken by people getting ready to take the Nclex but I found it helped get me over the hump during the last semester, and you can retake it again before the Nclex for free.
    Go do it
    daveclark_fpg

Answer by daveclark_fpg at 5:53 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• i just heard with the new haelthcare plan that nurses will be in greater demand then they are now and they make good money. go for it girl.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 7:01 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• No you will not always have a job in health care, nurses are being laid off, YES RN's. My cousin and sister-in-law are down 3-days a week. And they are RN's here in California.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:10 PM on Sep. 7, 2009

• I've been an RN for 30 years. If you would like to chat, pm me. Also, check out allnurses.com. We have millions and millions of reasons to become a nurse and not to, LOL....
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 5:29 PM on Sep. 16, 2009