sippy cup/bottle problems

My son is almost a year old and has almost no interest in holding his bottle. When he does hold it he will drink an ounce and then throw it down to do something else and the only thing he likes to do with sippy cups is hit them really hard off of something to make them squirt and he will laugh. He just started daycare and I'm worried that he is behind on some motor skills and I'm afraid it might be my fault because I was always more worried about him drinking enough and less worried about whether or not he held it. Does anyone have any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:38 PM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Stop worrying about both. He sounds quite normal!

Answer by gdiamante at 5:50 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• He sounds fine but he will need to learn to hold is cup or bottle. Have you tried using a straw cup. They are easy to use and don't have to tip them up to drink out of them.
    coala

Answer by coala at 5:57 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• He's playing with you...he throws it, you fetch it.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:10 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• dont worry a good daycare will help him with that my son was holding his bottle for like 2 months at daycare before he did it for me at home. kids will do things for day care that they will never do for mommy becuase they know they have to
    jajamama

Answer by jajamama at 6:26 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I agree I think he is just playing with you.I mean if he can drink out of both of them, and doesn't want to do it. don't worry about it when he's thirsty he'll drink.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 6:53 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• In daycare he will catch up fast on anything he may be behind in. Give him his sippy cup and leave him to it. He will drink when he wants to.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 7:50 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I donno my son started holding his own bottle at about 3 months old and now at 15 months holds his own drinks no matter what kind (no bottles anymore tho) but I do know other babies that dont hold thier own drinks at over a year old....
    Lillette

Answer by Lillette at 7:55 PM on Sep. 2, 2009