Homemade Hummus

Should I remove the skins on the chickpeas or should I leave it? If I should get rid of it how do I do that.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:40 PM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I took it off mine when I did it. Just soaked them overnight and then rinsed them a few times. All I had to do then was run my fingers over the ones that didn't come off in the rinse.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 5:47 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Oh, but I wanted to add, I didn't know if they were supposed to come off, so I figured it was just better to take them off. Maybe someone will actually know, technically, whether you are supposed to remove them or not.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 5:48 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I just blended them skin and all with garlic, olive oil, salt and tahini.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 5:59 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• If you're using a blender or food processor, you don't need to remove the skins. If you're mashing by hand, remove them.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 6:32 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Throw it all in the blender

Answer by rkoloms at 10:05 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I don't take the skins off but I also like a little texture to my hummus. :-)
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 11:45 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• If you are using a blender and want that really smooth texture, be prepared to blend for a while. Or, you can just pinch the bean and the skin will slide off. Sometimes the beans get projectile like, though, but t's fun for the kids! I have a really great hummus recipe if anyone wants it.
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 7:37 AM on Sep. 3, 2009