Could you get a spinal cord injury from jumping in shallow pool water?

At least once a year,I have jumped in the shallow water without thinking,my thought is,I know it's dangerous but I think I can manuver my body some how so I dodn't hurt myself.The worst that has happened I 'd put all my weight on my left foot,so it hurt a little afterwards.But I'm wondering if the weight all my foot could somehow transfer to my lower back because I was jumping off in the deep in and when I jumped off I noticed my lower back sore but I think then it was because of that.,I'm 20 pnds overweight of my ideal weight and weight and the gravity of jumping off hurt my back.What do you think?I jumped off in the deep end to avoid the fear of the drowning feeling,that's why I jump in the shallow end or did.I don't jump in the shallow water for fun before it was becuz I was afraid of the deep.Our pool is only heated during the summer so even my daughter jumps in the shallow and she's heavy,need pool safety info please.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:53 PM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Health

• It's the impact when you hit the bottom of the pool that can cause a spinal injury.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 6:42 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• If you land wrong you can get a spinal cord injury with any kind of jumping.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:57 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• So if I were to stand at the deep end and jump in that could potentially hurt my back long term because of my weight and the way I'm putting all my weight on my feet to push me off the curb,because it would take alot of strength to get me to jump into there and I did it like 5 times,it's was thrilling and fun but my lower back is sore and I faced my fear.One time I jumped in, I went down to the bottom of the pool it's 8ft. deep and I didn't take a big enough breath ,so I was scared if I would make it to the top and said I'd never jump in the deep.But I did it today and I didn't go all the way down and it was fun.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:12 PM on Sep. 2, 2009