Ok I really need some ideas...about my sons poopy underwear!

My son is 6 and has been wiping his own bottom since he turned 5. He has always done well, with my watchful eye ;)

But for the past month, he has had one pair of nasty underwear after another, I thought he wasnt wiping well enough....so I started to check after him and noticed the poop was in there before he pulled his underwear back up. So it couldnt be that he wasnt wiping well enough.

Then, I thought he was waiting too long to go to the potty so I started MAKING him go as soon as he got home from school.....even when I did that he STILL had it in his underwear.

I dont know why this is happening....and I am at a loss as to what to do. I dont feel like it is his fault, after watching him for several days. So I dont see an answer.

Any ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:13 PM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Maybe he has irritable bowel syndrome or incontinance?
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:14 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• The same thing happened to my son when he was about the same age. It was frustrating to constantly find his poopy underwear. I took him to the doctor and they took an xray of his intestines. His intestines were impacted with feces.
    I had to give him milk of magnesia (mix it in chocolate milk or a milk shake) and enemas until his bowels were cleared. It took a couple of days.
    As soon as you give your son an enema, make sure he is near the toilet.
    This is common in children. When the intestines become impacted the child becomes de-sensitive to feeling the urge to go. Eventually it leaks out into his underwear.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 6:30 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• PrttyMstng: That really sounds like that might be it.

But one big question I have is....can he have that and still poop pretty regular.

He poops probably every other day or so...Could it still be that?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:47 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• If he's only having a bowel movement every other day he may very well be impacted. All of my children have daily bowel movements.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:14 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Alot of children don't go every day also tho just every other day. Is he maybe holding it in at school instead of going right away and then getting some in his underware?
    82ndairbornewif

Answer by 82ndairbornewif at 9:44 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• As I recall - my son is now 28 years old - he was using the bathroom.
    Giving your son an enema and milk of magnesia won't hurt him and it's worth a try.
    As soon as I gave my son the enema I set him on the toilet. He filled the bowl.
    If it's impacted intestines, you'll know as soon as you give him an enema. Give him the milk of magnesia about 30 minutes before the enema to help loosen his stool.
    The doctor told me that some children hold it because thay are busy playing or are in school busy doing their work. Because a child's body is smaller it doesn't take long for the intestines to become impacted. Once his intestines have cleared put in on a regular routine for a little while.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 7:20 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• So, he comes home from school with poopy undies? have you asked him if he goes at school? Some kids aren't willing to go in public so will hold it and may have accidents. Maybe soemthing at school is bothering him. Is this happening everytime he goes to the bathroom or just once a day or every other day or so?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:47 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I would hold off on the enema. That can be traumatizing/confusing for a child. I use benefiber with my kids. It's tasteless & clear. You can sprinkle it in his cereal or add it to juice or milk. It's not a chemical laxative. It will keep his bowels moving and make it harder for him to hold it in.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 10:02 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Its probably "skid marks" from the poop BEFORE the one you are noticing!

I cant wait for my son to wipe his own butt! He yells "MOMMMMYYYY... Come and wipe me" and it drives me insane. He tries but it is not good enuf so I send him to kindergarten (he will be 5 in Oct) with a pull up under his underware to catch the nasty crap
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 5:41 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• When my son had this problem the doctor said he had lost the sensation of feeling the need to go. That's why the doctor had me give him an enema. By only giving a laxative he will leak more and still not regain the sensation of feeling the need to go. The only way the doctor said he would regain the sensation of feeling the need to go was by forcing the impaction out.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 10:03 PM on Sep. 3, 2009