How do i get my 2 yr old to stop breastfeeding?

I had a c-section with my daughter and i guess from the get-go i was worried about her well being therefore i stuck to breastfeeding and now she is 2 and she wont stop. She drinks regular whole milk too but around nap time or when i am lying down she simply has to breastfeed to sleep. I have tried to make her forget about it by giving her cookies or fruits or juice to distract her but it doesnt work.

Help!!! Its getting weirder by the day....lol

momintrouble

www.freedomathometeam.com/rals

rsambhi

Asked by rsambhi at 6:14 PM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Why is it weird?

My Dd who is 21/2 still nurse and I nurse my 6 month old

The only thing I can suggest is offer a cup when she wants to nurse there are days when she wont nurse at all and others where she will 1-2 times a day. I don't offer it , but if she asks and I am not busy with the baby. Then I will nurse her.

Sorry I don't have the best answer for ya. I usually let me self wean
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 6:25 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• wow you still have milk in there?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:17 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Sounds like you are a pacifier, mom...you are gonna just have to let her cry until she understands that even though she can't nurse, that you will still be there for her...
    Get her sippy/bottle for nap, then lay next to her with a blanket in between you two. as much as she will want to root, keep giving the sippy and eventually she will get the idea that you are still there but not nursing...once you handle that then in a couple of weeks, start removing the bottle and replace it with a 'lovey' just make sure that you have 2 of them incase 1 gets lost.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:21 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• since she is 2 and she can understand things a little, maybe you could just explain to her that she can't do it anymore because she drinks "big girl milk" now and then just quit cold turkey. i know she might fuss/cry for a few days, but it probably won't last too long. try replacing the breast with another comfort item such as a blanket. when i weaned my daughter at one, this is what worked for me. good luck!!
    sabrinarae

Answer by sabrinarae at 6:26 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Why would you want your child attached to an inanimate object? There is no need for that if they are secure with their relationship with their mama
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:29 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Here I found this info for you it might help

http://www.kellymom.com/parenting/velcrochild.html

abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 6:31 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• "Why would you want your child attached to an inanimate object? There is no need for that if they are secure with their relationship with their mama"

Maybe momma wants some freedom now. Or to finally dry up. Why does it matter? Point is Mom wants to stop and wants to know how to best do that.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:34 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Maybe momma wants some freedom now. Or to finally dry up. Why does it matter? Point is Mom wants to stop and wants to know how to best do that.

And you think the best way is for the child to love a blanket as a replacement for their mom ?? WOW I never really got that sorry I don't want a kid that can't function with out their blanket.

There are better was to wean than to replace it with a stupid blanket
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:38 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• "And you think the best way is for the child to love a blanket as a replacement for their mom ?? WOW I never really got that sorry I don't want a kid that can't function with out their blanket."

Hmmm...I do believe that I also said that mom is still in bed with her since she mentioned that it's only at nap time or when she is lying down....
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:44 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Yes you did, but you also said to have more than 1 blanket just in case. That tells me the child can't function or be soothed with out it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:53 PM on Sep. 2, 2009