What should I do when I get on their nerves??

I am a Psychology Major with an English Minor. I love learning about human behavior and I like analyzing literture. I am very drawn to gender indenity as a sub-topic of these two. Well, I like to discuss my thoughts and research I have come across with family and friends. I mean that is what you are supposed to do...share ideas and discuss things. They all do the same with me. The problem is that nobody seems to care about what I am interested in. They listen to a point and then tune me out when I talk about gender studies. I have no bias toward either sex I just simple find my discoveries interesting and like to share them. I don't know if it is that I live in the 'bible belt' that people are so closed off to me because I like psychology or what. It just sucks. My own husband doesn't even take much of an interest in me. I am not rude or forceful at all. Plus I listen to his ideas because he is an English major. We are in ...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:24 PM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Relationships

• some of the same classes too. Are people just that close minded? What do I do to have a social life were I can share my interests?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:25 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I would make a study date with a classmate or two, and I bet you'll connect with them.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 6:29 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I agree with Carolyn, meet with a study group. Keep in mind people are close minded but also, and I'm an English major, some people just can't share your interest and can only be polite for so long. Also, some may not understand the disecting of thoughts and literature, etc the way you do and so they may shut you down simply because they don't get it. Your DH on the other hand, kick his butt!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:32 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Been there done that (get excited about what I'm researching and no one at home share my enthusiasm). I found that it's best to share with a fellow classmate or you could start a blog. I'm sure you will find others who have an interest.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:34 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Get friends who share the same ideas. I've learned that family will not always see things the way I do, and some don't even agree, so when you say something it turns them off. So find the people who do like it and discuss it with them.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 6:57 PM on Sep. 2, 2009