Army base housing???

I will be stationed somewhere in March of next year and was just trying to get as much information as possible about the housing, like what does it come furnished with; like appliances and what utilities does it come with i know of free electric and water but is there anything else like cable or internet. does it come w/ an washer and dryer, just stuff like that we are a family of 4 w/ one more on the way so im not sure what kinda size house we'll get but any information would be helpful...thanks again ladies

mdhart03

Asked by mdhart03 at 6:39 PM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Home & Garden

• most housing comes with fridge dishwasher stove range. cable and phone might come with it i dont know. washer and dryer prolly not
    marinewife52704

Answer by marinewife52704 at 6:50 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Kitchen is fully furnished. You have to pay your own cable, phone, and Internet. Most housing in the US you have to have your own Washer and Drier. I heard on some posts you have to pay some of your utility bills now days.

Answer by louise2 at 6:52 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• You get ac/ heat a stove and a fridge. Your electric is free but no you have to pay for cable or internet. I would try to stay out of base housing. I'm guess your SO is in basic??? He will get the option of collecting BAH or base housing. BAH is housing allowance the army will give him. The amount of money depends on his rank and your duty station. I would try to stay out of base housing and just find an apartment out in town. Base housing isn't very nice most the time. Very plain and un homey and UGLY!!! I lived on Cherry point and it was less then fun. Having to show your id everytime you drive on base, random car inspection. and rules and such. Its kinda a kill joy!
    Jillybeans24

Answer by Jillybeans24 at 7:09 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• My husband is in the military and we have been in 3 different houses. It will include kitchen appliance but no microwave and no furniture whatsoever.
    I have been in a very nice house and if you are in an area that has a high cost of living it is the best idea to stay on base. Off post in maryland you'd be paying 1500$ for a 3 bedroom (just decent living conditions) and paying 300$ in utilities. I have lived on post and off post and on post has been the best.
    And by the way most military housing is privatized, meaning civilian companies own them and remodel them. We just moved out of a house and then moved into an identical but remodeled townhouse and it was very nice. SO it depends on where you go. I'd make sure you get advice from people who are in the military or spouses of a military member. Good luck
    AmandaI1021

Answer by AmandaI1021 at 7:58 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• And by the way I have lived in Air Force base housing and Army housing.
    AmandaI1021

Answer by AmandaI1021 at 8:00 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• go to armyonesource.com and if you know where your duty station is, you can check out the houses online. just to forwarn you, Army houses kinda suck unless your an officer or high rank. expect tile floors, count yourself lucky if you get hardwood or carpet. I am in my second duty station and the floors were both a funky brown tile. also expect like a duplex sort of thing. where its one building but up to four families to a building. there will be a fridge/dishwasher/stove, but no washer/dryer. we were stationed in Ft bliss (el paso tx) last time and there was some houses actually on main post, but also army houses off base. now in Italy there is very little on post housing, most are italian owned, but the army rents them out. Good luck!
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 7:06 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• im not sure what size house you will get with 4+ children, as far as I know the most is 4 bedrooms. so someones going to be sharing. We heard alot of people say it was cheaper to live off post in ft bliss, but our BAH was $800, and when we moved off post our rent was $775, so it actually cost us more to live off post, because then we had to pay for all our utilities, so be careful when people try to tell you its cheaper off post. cause unless you want to live in a worse dump then on post, it will not be cheap.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 7:09 AM on Sep. 3, 2009