Question about heritage

I adopted my child at birth. Her bmom was Irish and her bdad was Hispanic but we dont know what else or what percentage because he skipped town on her.

I am filling our form after form to enroll her in Kindergarten and they keep asking if she Caucasian, Hispanic origin or just Caucasian. Does anyone know why they are asking this. I dont know if I should put yes or no because I honestly dont know how much she really is. To us it has never really mattered but I wanted to know what they do with this information.

Thanks in advance for those who took time away from the more "heated" posts on her to answer, lol.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:46 PM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Adoption

• Most states receive federal funding based on their ability to report academic (and other) progress broken down by ethnicity. So its important to the school to be able to continue to report this way and to continue to receive federal funding. Also many times if you are requesting grant aid, grantors will want to know the population that would benefit from a potential grant to a school. So, their asking has less to do with being nosey into your personal family business.

Many adoptess don't know anything for sure about their heritage. So I wouldn't put "nothing" or "unknown"....let her feel proud of the hertige that is known and I would also answer "Caucasian of Hispanic origin".
    PortAngeles1969

Answer by PortAngeles1969 at 7:53 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Check white of Hispanic origin
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:55 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I'm white and Hispanic....Since I carry the Hispanic last name...I always mark Hispanic. Most (not all) always go with the Fathers heritage. Hope that helps! =)
    Artistachica

Answer by Artistachica at 7:00 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• But what do they do with that information? That is my question? Like I know my doctor pays attention to it because PR nationality has a higher risk of a certain disease, etc. But what does the school do with it, is it purely statistics that they are capturing?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:13 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• As an adoptee- forms like the one your talking about have always got under my skin!
    I was a closed / sealed records adoptee and my choices in filling out those forms were:
    1. Don't know- adopted
    2. Guess
    3. Lie and use my aparents info like it was my own.
    Nowadays like in filling out the census questionaire reguarding ethnic background - I use a red sharpie and write: I AM PROHIBITED BY LAW by the State of Washington to have this info!
    adopteeme

Answer by adopteeme at 7:17 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Just stat's. It might have something to do with funding. But unlike the doctors office it's nothing medically important. Basically just them being nosy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:18 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• It has to do with all reports provided to the State and Federal government. Test scores, suspension records, graduation rates, attendance, qualification for special education or gift programs are broken down by ethnic groups. Anything the school must report may or may not be broken into the subgroups.
    luckyshamrock

Answer by luckyshamrock at 7:26 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• In my state you can check more than one. do so, to honor her heritage!!!!
    SEEKEROFSHELLS

Answer by SEEKEROFSHELLS at 3:06 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• AdopteeMe: I have a copy of her original bc and so does her bmom so hopefully she never has that problem.

Thanks everyone
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:20 AM on Sep. 3, 2009