Where is your Deltoid and Gluteal?

I'm able to take a shot in my Deltoid or Gluteal but the pharmasist says my butt only.Why would the drug company say otherwise?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:54 PM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Health

• your deltoid is where your shoulder is kind of.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 6:55 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• gluteal is the butt muscle.. gleuteas maximus is the BUTT
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 6:56 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• sorry haha

The gluteal muscles are the three muscles that make up the buttocks: the gluteus maximus, gluteus medius and gluteus minimus.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 6:57 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• wow sorry... one more, so the pharmacist says take it in your butt only which is what the drug company says too... :Di would NOT do it in my shoulder, that would be so weird.
    MomNbabyGirl009

• My doctor said I could take it in my shoulder or back then when I got the shot home it said on the package,Deltoid and Gluteal,but someone said only on the Butt at the pharmasist.I would think doing it on your butt would hurt more,that's the only negative and also I have to get the shot 2 times a month,one by my doctor the other by a family member like my husband,I can't see him doing that.But I'm thinking of trying the shot anyways for the hell of it to see how it makes me feel.Do you think one dose would help or only the 2 doses?So I will ask my doctor tomorrow but I don't want to get pinched in the butt for nothing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:04 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I would wait until you see the Dr. ask him where to give the injection and how, it sounds like from the locations it has to be given in deep muscle, so they NEED to teach you how to locate the deep muscle. Also the deltoid can only hold so much at one injection, thats why the gluteal might be better because it can hold more. You dont want to inject with out the proper info because you can hit a nerve in the butt area, also you need to find out if you need to aspirate before the injection to make sure you are not in a blood vessel. Some IM injections you do aspirate, some you dont. Aspirate = pull back on the plunger to see if blood is there. Either location will be sore for a few but nothing major, the slower you push the better if it is a thick solution. It is hard giving info over the computer, I hope this helps
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:17 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• It just creeps me out to have my husband do that to me,he can't do that,that's what nurses are for.The doctor should arrange for me to visit her twice a month in order to do it,else I won't be doing it,but it's a shame to not take something for that reason.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:28 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• To find your deltoid, put your hand on the upper part of your arm. Extend your pinky a little bit and that's where your deltoid muscle is at. Keep in mind with IM injections to the deltoid, it should always be less than 1 cc/ml (same thing) because anything more needs a bigger mass of muscle. Also, some medications are very caustic to the surround tissues and should always be given in a large muscle area. Did your pharmacist say anything about your thigh muscle? We used to give patients their IM injections in their thigh if it was too painful to turn them for whatever reason or turning was contraindicated. This question has not been asked, but what exactly are you taking? You are anon so nobody will know or care, but you can also PM me. Those of us with expertise can help you more.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:39 PM on Sep. 2, 2009