Holy Crap!! Just got the food allergy test results...

My nine months old is allergic to soy,peanut, wheat, oats, milk, egg whites and dog!!! Apparently some, he`ll outgrow of...he hasn't even been exposed to most of them since you're not supposed to give peanuts to kids under a certain age, for example...so whould I freak out? Cause I'm kind of freaking out...

DavineandLiam

Asked by DavineandLiam at 6:59 PM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Just because you have a positive test, which indicates that he does have IgE antibodies against a certain allergen, that doesn't mean that it will cause any symptoms. According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, 'Although a positive result to scratch or intradermal skin testing strongly suggests that your child has formed IgE antibodies against a specific allergen, it does not follow that he will develop allergy symptoms when exposed to that particular allergen in the environment.' And skin test results can remain positive, even as your child is outgrowing his allergies. So, I wouldn't freak out just yet.....A final diagnosis & plan of action will have to be determined by your child's doctor based on your child's expressed symptoms (ie...eczema, hives, fever, breathing difficulties, etc.). If it comes down to it that you do have to avoid all of the listed items, don't panic.....continued below!
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 7:26 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I wouldn't worry about it now...but when it comes to feeding him table foods..make sure he gets tested again, so you REALLY know what NOT to feed him. =)
    Artistachica

Answer by Artistachica at 7:02 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• why would they even give a child that young allergy tests? My kids couldn't even get tested until they were older.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:03 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Go ahead and freak out for a bit. It's healthy. My DD has all the same allergies and then some, she's almost 11 months. You have to go through the whole grieving process. IF you need help with food ideas email me. :)
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 7:19 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• If he's going to "out grow" them, then he's not truly allergic, but has a sensitivity to it. One does NOT out grow a true allergy.

What is there to freak out about? He can't have certain foods and can't have a dog for a pet. You know this, so you work with your information for the benefit of your son.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:22 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• as there are many of us out here in cyberworld who can help you get through this! One place you may want to visit is The Food Allergy & Anaphylaxis Network. Here you will find loads of good information and a complete support network. Another site you may find helpful is Kids With Food Allergies.

My son has many of the same food allergies as yours, although my son is 14 now, but I am willing to answer questions and help you out if you need it. Just drop me a message here on CM.

mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 7:30 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Well, now we have some answers for sure, of what food to avoid until he gets tested again later on. Freaking out as far as more to monitor, like it wasn't enough already...More to worry and all. But we're ok. Wasn't planning of having a dog and all, and there are plenty of food he still can eat, and maybe some are just food intolerance, which we'll find out later. Just freaking out cause I wasn't expecting such a long list. I wonder why this new generation is so prone to food allergies? Sigh. Btw, we took him to get tested cause he had a rash all over his body when I introduced him to yogourt for the first time, and I also noticed he would poo a least 8 times after he had Oatmeal baby cereal, so peds sent him to get a blood draw...which I also heard they were many false positives...joy. Thanks for all your inputs!
    DavineandLiam

Answer by DavineandLiam at 8:31 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• @ mom2aspclboy Thanks so much for your answer. It gives me hope. Will check out that link you've gave me and may contact you if I have further questions. Have to get an appointment with an allergist. What can an allergist do anyways?
    DavineandLiam

Answer by DavineandLiam at 8:34 PM on Sep. 2, 2009